Stupid Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made 20 batches thus far in my brewing adventure. Haven't taken a single hydrometer reading and Haven't had a single bottle bomb yet. Airlock activity at a rapid pace is a good sign that fermentation is occurring. No one is arguing with you Revvy that a lack of airlock activity means no fermenting or slow bubbling necessarily means fermentation is still occurring. The OP's point is that with proper brewing practices and yeast pitching, rapid bubbling from an airlock is a very great sign that your beer is fermenting.

I haven't used a hydrometer for the past several batches... I've used a refractometer for both OG and FG though... :D Better brewing through better gear/hardware... :D :rockin:

I think a lot of us streamline our routines to fit OUR own styles of brewing. But, we all follow the same general practices. There are differences, of course. Such as with how you aerate/oxygenate your wort before pitching yeast... I use a pure O2 infusion system with a LpM regulator on it. I KNOW how much O2 I'm putting into the chilled wort. Next item on my list to get is an O2 meter/tester so that I can actually pull a reading of the wort I just hit with O2 and KNOW what the PPM is. :rockin:

IMO, as long as you're not one of those "that guy" types who follows the kit/recipe instructions to the letter, including X days in primary and Y days in another vessel, you'll do well. Use your brains once in a while (or more often) and you'll make even better beer. Personally, I haven't used a kit since my third brew. Over 30 since then and I'm getting stellar results with my own recipes. I'm even brewing second batches of several since they came out so good. One or two are on the list of 'not again' but that happens to everyone who makes their own recipes...

/drunken mumbles. :drunk:

Golddiggie said:
I haven't used a hydrometer for the past several batches... I've used a refractometer for both OG and FG though... :D Better brewing through better gear/hardware... :D :rockin:

I think a lot of us streamline our routines to fit OUR own styles of brewing. But, we all follow the same general practices. There are differences, of course. Such as with how you aerate/oxygenate your wort before pitching yeast... I use a pure O2 infusion system with a LpM regulator on it. I KNOW how much O2 I'm putting into the chilled wort. Next item on my list to get is an O2 meter/tester so that I can actually pull a reading of the wort I just hit with O2 and KNOW what the PPM is. :rockin:

IMO, as long as you're not one of those "that guy" types who follows the kit/recipe instructions to the letter, including X days in primary and Y days in another vessel, you'll do well. Use your brains once in a while (or more often) and you'll make even better beer. Personally, I haven't used a kit since my third brew. Over 30 since then and I'm getting stellar results with my own recipes. I'm even brewing second batches of several since they came out so good. One or two are on the list of 'not again' but that happens to everyone who makes their own recipes...

Agree with everything you said. I've used 1 kit in my 20 batches. The rest are my own recipes and I've had 3 or 4 that I wasn't happy with and many more that I thought were great.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
:rolleyes: Figures........ can't back up the ridiculous post you made, so now it's a personal thing. S'pose you'd like me to stoop down and throw one back......................................

You're the one who tried to knock my brewing knowledge and dismiss my posts as bad information.

I watch bubbles as a gauge of fermentation.

I always take a hydro when I keg.

I think Revvy's advice is great for beginners. But when you've made an embarrassing amount of beer, those generic/conservative rules fade into the shadows and the rules of experience are everything.

Anyway, the bubbles are important to me, but I know my system and my fermentors and the timing of my brews.

Cheers everyone!

Really good points there. I've done a lot of streamlining as I've progressed as a brewer. There are a few things I won't skimp on though; yeast, I always make a stater, aeration, can't say enough about that, temp control, just as important as pitch rates, and sanitation, 100+ batches and not a single infection, I plan to keep it that way. I still brew kits because I get a Ale of the Month membership @ Midwest every year for xmas, but I learned long ago the first step of brewing a kit is throwing the instructions in the trash. Since the cat's outta the bag, and every one knows that I'm not a humble guy, I feel safe saying this; lately I have been brewing some of the most amazing beer. The best part is, I keep getting better, so I know this time next year I'll be making even better beer!!!

I watch bubbles as a gauge of fermentation.

I always take a hydro when I keg.

I think Revvy's advice is great for beginners. But when you've made an embarrassing amount of beer, those generic/conservative rules fade into the shadows and the rules of experience are everything.

Anyway, the bubbles are important to me, but I know my system and my fermentors and the timing of my brews.

Cheers everyone!

Knowing your system, and the yeast you use, IMO, is key... I've been using the same few yeast strains for all my brews, so I know how they act in a wort. I also know how long they need to do what must be done to give me what I desire.

I've yet to brew "an embarrassing amount of beer" but I hope to reach that level someday. :D

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Because it WAS bad information. Stop crying.

And thank you GD, I'm glad you still think I'm pretty!!! :ban:

According to your personal opinion. Do what you like and I'll keep doing what I like and know works for me.

Wynne-R,
An experienced brewer or wine maker can use an air-lock as an indicator of activity or lack of activity. Their experience will tell them what that activity may or may not be. Their experience will also tell them what to do, if anything, about what they believe their air-lock is telling them. I agree that noobs should not be told that air-lock activity or inactivity is meaningless.

Get your post count up about 2700 times higher than it is now and you too should be able to produce more lengthy rants.

Seeing the direction this thread is headed, I'll be surprised if this post gets in before the lock.

I'm sure the Egyptians were diligent with their hydrometer readings because everyone knows they didn't use airlocks.

nukonamo said:
I'm sure the Egyptians were diligent with their hydrometer readings because everyone knows they didn't use airlocks.

We'd have to go back and check their posting history, but I'm pretty confident they didn't hyperventilate when they didn't see activity 20 minutes after making beer.

We'd have to go back and check their posting history, but I'm pretty confident they didn't hyperventilate when they didn't see activity 20 minutes after making beer.

tumblr_m1rf5hoqD41r01iho.gif

Man, the hivemind is strong with some of you folks. Sure Wynne forgot about the leaky bucket problem, for the case when there's no bubbles. The basic premise of what he said is true, though. In general, and in most cases, little to no bubbles after pitching yeast means that the yeast haven't started fermenting the wort. In general, and in most cases, active/frequent bubbling indicates active fermentation. In general, and in most cases, once the bubbles slow down or stop the beer is done or getting close to being done fermenting. Sure there's the possibility of a leaky bucket, which should be mentioned when a new brewer asks about a lack of bubbling. Heck if you're going to write multiple pages like Revvy you might as well tell them that it could be bubbling again (after it stopped) because of a pressure change. I think Wynne's general complaint (and mine too) is with people saying AN AIRLOCK IS NOT AN INDICATION OF FERMENTATION. It most certainly can be used that way by most people, but obviously if there's a significant leak it's going to have problems. Also, Revvy, I don't know if you've brewed a lager, but you definitely see significant airlock bubbling with lagers (at 50 degrees anyways).

EDIT: Also, I'm not saying someone shouldn't take a hydrometer reading.

Also, Revvy, I don't know if you've brewed a lager, but you definitely see significant airlock bubbling with lagers (at 50 degrees anyways).

Yes I have, I even won and award with one of mine. AND if you read enough threads, PLENTY of folks have come on paniciking because their lagers aren't bubbling either, or bubbling really slow....

Like I said, we've seen all permutations "of my airlock is doing or not doing x on here" worries every day.

Like I said, we've seen all permutations "of my airlock is doing or not doing x on here" worries every day.

Yes, but I'm sure you've seen way more threads where people said something to the effect of "it started bubbling after x hours". You may get tired of it, but no one said you had to post 36K times. Btw, your comments like "And therefore the thousands of "children" who..." are why I've called you arrogant before. Plus, I call BS on your 50% air-lock failure rate...though I've noticed in general that you seem to think that if you don't need something (e.g. larger than a 5 gallon cooler for a mash tun) then others don't, or that in this case most people are going to have anywhere close to a 50% failure rate.

usfmikeb said:

I think you meant to say etching history.

Y"And therefore the thousands of "children" who..." are why I've called you arrogant before. Plus, I call BS on your 50% air-lock failure rate...

If you notice it was in quotes...go back and read the OPs original rant. He was the one that used the term "scaring the children" I was just calling him out on HIS use of the term. in case you missed it, which obviously you did. :rolleyes:

OP said:
Quit it, right now, you’re scaring the children.

As to calling BS to my 50% airlock, that's your choice. I don't give a flying **** what you believe or not. You can call it "aunt nelly's panties" if it floats your boat. It's still the truth.

Like I'd have a reason to lie about something like that. :rolleyes:

As to the cooler size or whatever, too many people say "X way is the only way...." And I try, in my life, and not just on here, to show people options. I talk about what works based on my experience, and I try to explain why. SO that the person can choose for themselves. As I've said on here daily, there's no one way of doing things, there's usually no one BEST or RIGHT way to do things.

I'm not going to play "feed the troll" anymore. I don't see you on here every day helping new brewers out. So why should I have to justify anything to you.

I'm not going to play "feed the troll" anymore. I don't see you on here every day helping new brewers out. So why should I have to justify anything to you.

Apparently I'm a troll because I think you're wrong? As for not helping new brewers out? Well, maybe I don't do it as often as you, but certainly do try to help brewers out. Granted, I don't tend to go in the beginning brewers section.

This is an excellent point. We probably shouldn't use propane or electricity or wort chillers either. :p

I'll say it again: If you want to KNOW, use a hydrometer. If you're ok with guessing, stick with the airlock bubbles.

(Full disclosure--I often wait til bubbling stops to check my hydrometer. But when I want to be SURE, I measure.)

Piratwolf said:
Full disclosure--I often wait til bubbling stops to check my hydrometer. But when I want to be SURE, I measure.

I do the same. If I don't see signs of activity within 72 hours, I get the hydrometer out as well.

How does an airlock fail? I’ve been using the same ones for years.

Maybe if you’re brewing in a basement in Michigan it freezes. If you don’t care about bubbles, you could use a crumpled up paper towel. That’s what I do with my starters.

How does an airlock fail? I’ve been using the same ones for years.

Maybe if you’re brewing in a basement in Michigan it freezes. If you don’t care about bubbles, you could use a crumpled up paper towel. That’s what I do with my starters.

They usually don't. It's possible for the bucket to stop sealing after a while, I suppose, but I rather doubt that's all that common. That's why I find it hard to believe someone could have a 50% failure rate. That's just unlucky...not really a reason to preach against airlocks as fermentation indicators. Plus, I don't believe anyone has said that they're anything more than a rough indicator.

So, according to your 'logic', we should still be enslaving our enemies, keeping large slave harems, chopping off children's hands for stealing, etc. Not to mention we sure as $hit shouldn't be using any modern amenities.

What is with all these people lately saying we shouldn't do this or that because 'thousands of years ago' brewers didn't? It makes ZERO sense. Not sure if you people have gotten the memo, but humanity has learned a thing or two in the last couple thousand years. :drunk:

And to whoever thinks they're the man because they think they're calling peoples 'BS'..... guys like you are a dime a dozen on this site. They come n go from the hobby like flys on a cow pie. It seems that whenever someone with a lot of posts and a straightforward manner says something they don't understand, they call 'BS' or cry, or make up some asinine cr@p to get their $.02 into a thread. I'd really like to see what guys like that would do, or how they would figure out anything, if members like Revvy, myself and others who regularly have to put up with this adolescent behavior decided to stop posting.

And to whoever thinks they're the man because they think they're calling peoples 'BS'..... guys like you are a dime a dozen on this site. They come n go from the hobby like flys on a cow pie. It seems that whenever someone with a lot of posts and a straightforward manner says something they don't understand, they call 'BS' or cry, or make up some asinine cr@p to get their $.02 into a thread. I'd really like to see what guys like that would do, or how they would figure out anything, if members like Revvy, myself and others who regularly have to put up with this adolescent behavior decided to stop posting.

I've done just fine without you or Revvy, thank you. Apparently I'm a dime a dozen, though. I personally don't see how your comment is not adolescent behavior as well (I suppose you didn't actually say it wasn't, though.). I call BS where I see it. Apparently I'm immediately wrong just because a member has a high post count. (I'm assuming you're talking about me since you mentioned 'BS'.)

NordeastBrewer77 said:
What is with all these people lately saying we shouldn't do this or that because 'thousands of years ago' brewers didn't? It makes ZERO sense. Not sure if you people have gotten the memo, but humanity has learned a thing or two in the last couple thousand years. :drunk:

Can you just imagine what that beer REALLY used to taste like without sanitation, temp control, and today's raw input quality? I bet it tasted like a cross between camel $hit and rocket fuel.

Yummy, let's all go back to using true historical processes in a desert.

I've done just fine without you or Revvy, thank you. Apparently I'm a dime a dozen, though. I personally don't see how your comment is not adolescent behavior as well (I suppose you didn't actually say it wasn't, though.). I call BS where I see it. Apparently I'm immediately wrong just because a member has a high post count. (I'm assuming you're talking about me since you mentioned 'BS'.)

It's one of those, 'if the shoe fits' things. And in your case, it seems to be your size. You can call BS all ya want, the thing is, just saying something is ******** without having any fact to stand on is BS in and of itself. As far as adolescent behavior, I'm referring to trolling. Ya know the thing my teenage son does on Facebook to get a reaction from his schoolmates? Kinda the same as the folks here who pop in with silly one liners or to 'call BS' for the sole purpose of riling up others on this site.
Let's be real, man.... before your post on this thread, I'd never seen you here. And I sure haven't seen you kindly answering question after question with solid advice as I've seen the member you started hounding on earlier in this thread do. People Like Revvy take time out of their days to help other brewers out because it makes them feel good. People like you take time out of their days to pick on people because it makes them feel good. Very different takes on life, and really, the folks in the latter group are pretty offensive, IMO.

Can you just imagine what that beer REALLY used to taste like without sanitation, temp control, and today's raw input quality? I bet it tasted like a cross between camel $hit and rocket fuel.

Yummy, let's all go back to using true historical processes in a desert.

I know right?! That's right up there with the guy on another thread who's claiming we don't need to use star san because medieval monks didn't. I think someone opened up the gates on Troll Island and let them all loose.

It's one of those, 'if the shoe fits' things. And in your case, it seems to be your size. You can call BS all ya want, the thing is, just saying something is ******** without having any fact to stand on is BS in and of itself. As far as adolescent behavior, I'm referring to trolling. Ya know the thing my teenage son does on Facebook to get a reaction from his schoolmates? Kinda the same as the folks here who pop in with silly one liners or to 'call BS' for the sole purpose of riling up others on this site.
Let's be real, man.... before your post on this thread, I'd never seen you here. And I sure haven't seen you kindly answering question after question with solid advice as I've seen the member you started hounding on earlier in this thread do. People Like Revvy take time out of their days to help other brewers out because it makes them feel good. People like you take time out of their days to pick on people because it makes them feel good. Very different takes on life, and really, the folks in the latter group are pretty offensive, IMO.

Again, apparently disagreeing is classified as trolling. Look at my original post in the thread. I was voicing my difference of opinion, but apparently that's trolling. You say you've never seen me answering questions, but that doesn't mean I haven't (I certainly have.). Answer me this, how is your comparing me to your teenage son not trolling behavior? Is it OK because you have more posts than me? How is Revvy's posting of the picture of the woman clapping not something that could be seen as trolling? I'm sure people could easily see that as an intent to annoy people (e.g. it could annoy the OP).

Again, apparently disagreeing is classified as trolling. Look at my original post in the thread. I was voicing my difference of opinion, but apparently that's trolling. You say you've never seen me answering questions, but that doesn't mean I haven't (I certainly have.). Answer me this, how is your comparing me to your teenage son not trolling behavior? Is it OK because you have more posts than me? How is Revvy's posting of the picture of the woman clapping not something that could be seen as trolling? I'm sure people could easily see that as an intent to annoy people (e.g. it could annoy the OP).

:rolleyes:

I'll give ya your first post, aside from the way you started it, it was totally on topic and appropriate.

Yes, but I'm sure you've seen way more threads where people said something to the effect of "it started bubbling after x hours". You may get tired of it, but no one said you had to post 36K times. Btw, your comments like "And therefore the thousands of "children" who..." are why I've called you arrogant before. Plus, I call BS on your 50% air-lock failure rate...though I've noticed in general that you seem to think that if you don't need something (e.g. larger than a 5 gallon cooler for a mash tun) then others don't, or that in this case most people are going to have anywhere close to a 50% failure rate.

But your second seems to be badgering someone for responding to your first.
Not to mention you jump on me for pointing out a flaw in someone else's post about ancient Egypt.
I'm sure you do answer posts and whatnot, but judging from your posting here on this thread, the bulk of what you do is argue with folks who're answering posts.
Call me what you will for pointing out that some of the posters here are doing the same thing my son does, but really..... like I said, it's an 'if the shoe fits' thing.....

Call me what you will for pointing out that some of the posters here are doing the same thing my son does, but really..... like I said, it's an 'if the shoe fits' thing.....

Is that a yes, it's OK for you to troll? You didn't answer my other questions about your trolling? Would you mind telling me why they're not trolling? You obviously dodged my question about your own trolling as far as your son comment.

Is that a yes, it's OK for you to troll? You didn't answer my other questions about your trolling? Would you mind telling me why they're not trolling? You obviously dodged my question about your own trolling as far as your son comment.

:confused: huh? I didn't answer your questions so you're sad? C'mon man, the last thing I care about is making sure I've thoroughly answered leading questions asked by some dude on some thread on the intertron.... I didn't 'dodge' your question(s), I simply chose not to respond to your juvenile questions because I think your questions were actually the answers you were seeking. If you think I'm trolling, please, please report me.

Wow, I never thought I'd see this, but one poster has chased two of the most vocal members of this site off of the same thread on the same day.
You guys enjoy the 'blind leading the blind' mentality on this thread, I'm unsub'd..... off to troll other threads for unsuspecting newbs who're in need of all the bad advice I'm known for propagating here on HBT. :rolleyes:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
So, according to your 'logic', we should still be enslaving our enemies, keeping large slave harems, chopping off children's hands for stealing, etc. Not to mention we sure as $hit shouldn't be using any modern amenities.

There is more than one way to reach the same result. Also, don't throw out your shoulder while patting yourself on the back and if I ever act like an adult please shoot me.

This thread is like a bad beer that didn't improve with time. It sucked from the start and got worse the longer it went on.

Back