What to put in a rum barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew300

Reaction score
I have a 5gal medium rum barrel. Any suggestions to what I should put in it? Originally I was going to get a bourbon barrel and put a RIS in it, but it got changed and now I am not sure what to use this for.

Oh, it is from a distillers rumble rum which is a medium honey and mission fig flavored rum.

I have a ten gallon rum barrel. I fermented about 8 gallons of RIS in it. I then topped it off with a milk stout and let it age in the barrel for six months at about 72 degrees. I just transferred it to two cornies last week. The uncarbonated beer tastes great. I plan to begin carbonating it in about two weeks.

I have a ten gallon rum barrel. I fermented about 8 gallons of RIS in it. I then topped it off with a milk stout and let it age in the barrel for six months at about 72 degrees. I just transferred it to two cornies last week. The uncarbonated beer tastes great. I plan to begin carbonating it in about two weeks.

That sounds like an awesome brew. how tall and wide are the 10 gallons? and can you use it more than once? dumb question?

I think most of the rum flavor will be gone after the first use. I'm going to use it for sours now.

Its about 2' tall and 1.5' wide I believe. I'm in the process of moving and it is back in Indiana and I'm in North Carolina.

I'm jealous. Balcones isn't even that far away but I can't seem to find those barrels nearby.

A saison would be awesome in that. So would a porter. You could do anything simple (e.g. blonde ale, brown ale) or do the usual stout/RIS thing in it.

Back