Undercarbed beer: move from fridge back to warm room to finish carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willjschmidt

Reaction score
I recently put an entire recent batch into the fridge and neglected to make sure that it was fully carbonated. After sampling a couple, they are not fully carbonated. I assumed they were since they were at room temp for 4 weeks but room temp is only in the mid-60's these days. They've been in the fridge for a few weeks now. Can I move them from the fridge back to a warm room to let them finish carbonating? Will the yeast still have enough vitality to finish the job?

It won't hurt them to let them warm up again. Let them warm up and try to keep them at 70F for a week and try one, if it's not where you want it, leave them for another week at 70F. They will eventually carb-up but some beers take longer than others. 70F is the key and at that temp I've had some take a month to be right.

Yes, in order for the yeast to finish the job, they need to wake up from the cold you put them under. Take them out, let them warm up for a couple days, THEN give each of them a bit of a shake to get the yeast back off the bottom and into the work space.

Back