Adding Maple syrup pre-fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding sugar before fermentation and was wondering about adding maple syrup as the sugar. Has anyone tried it? What about honey?

Would there be a noticeable (and nice) taste when adding one of these instead of sugar or brown sugar?

Thanks

yes it works however your much better off adding it later in fermentation since you will lose almost all the flavor to fermentation. Both sugar and brown sugar work as well each lending a slightly different flavor. Brown gives more of a carmel molasses flavor (rummy)...Honey is the same thing- add late or your going to lose all the flavors. It is fairly subtle added late regardless

I'd add it before fermentation and after fermentation to either backsweeten or carb. Maple syrup has solids that don't ferment out which give it more of a taste. Be prepared for a long ferment time, my maple cider has been fermenting for over a month now.

If you're interested, search the forums for the terms 'cyser' - an apple cider with honey or an 'acerglyn' - a type of mead made with maple syrup which might give you some more info.

Back