Wiring Auber PIDs for Brutus Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruversm

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience wiring the Auber SYL-1512A2 PID? Do I need to install jumpers? I'm STUCK!

I'm building Lonnie Mac's Brutus build.

The PID autosenses the AC power input. You simply connect Hot and Neutral. Other than that you simply connect your thermocouple or RTD (jumper terminals 6 to 7 if you are using a RTD) and connect the internal mechanical relay (terminals 4 and 5 rated at 240 VAC @ 3 amps) or Solid State Switch (terminals 9 and 10 for 8 VDC at 40 mA output). I hope that helps.

pid.jpg

Just a note, If you have a 2-wire RTD then jump 6 to 7 as stated above. If you have a 3-wire RTD, the resistance goes across 7&8 and the shorted wire across 6&7!

Here's what I have..sorry for not posting earlier:
1. 2....2-wire ASCO valves
2. 2.....3-wire March Pumps
3. 2....Auber PIDs.
4. 2....2-wire LOVE thermisters

What is an RTD? Are you referring to the ASCO solenoid valves?

Thermistors are RTD's or Temperature Dependant Resistors. I would check with Auber to see if the Love thermistors will work with your Auber PID's. A Brutus 10 has a temperature controlled HLT and MLT so you will need to measure your HLT and MLT temperatures with the RTD's connected to the PID's and controll the solenoid valves connected to the relay outputs of the PID's and whatever voltage you use for your Solenoid Valve coils. I assume that your Solenoid coils are 120 VAC. I also need to know if you thernistors will work with the Auber PID and if it has 2 or 3 leads. If you get me this information I have AutoCAD so I can draw up and post an exact wiring diagram for you when I get home from work this afternoon if you wish.

Thermistors are RTD's or Temperature Dependant Resistors. I would check with Auber to see if the Love thermistors will work with your Auber PID's. A Brutus 10 has a temperature controlled HLT and MLT so you will need to measure your HLT and MLT temperatures with the RTD's connected to the PID's and controll the solenoid valves connected to the relay outputs of the PID's and whatever voltage you use for your Solenoid Valve coils. I assume that your Solenoid coils are 120 VAC. I also need to know if you thernistors will work with the Auber PID and if it has 2 or 3 leads. If you get me this information I have AutoCAD so I can draw up and post an exact wiring diagram for you when I get home from work this afternoon if you wish.
Sawdustguy: THANK YOU. My ASCO Solenoids are 120VAC. My temp probes are Love TS-6 two wires. Here's the product page from Grainger.

Ask, and ye shall receive....... If you have any questions just yell.

Brutus 10 Diagram HLT.jpg

Brutus 10 Diagram MLT.jpg

Sawdustguy, way to friggin step up my friend!!! This is excellent! Sorry I have been out for a while traveling with work... Everett was BEAUTIFUL this trip though!

gruversm, I got your PM... Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you on my work computer but this is some solid advice you are getting here...

Thermistors are not RTD's. An RTD is a piece on Platinum (usually) that is 100 ohms at 32F. A thermocouple is just two pieces of dissimilar metal twisted together. This generates a microvolt signal. A thermistor is is resistor (ceramic?) whose resistance varies with temperature and is not 100 ohms at 32F. You cannot use a thermistor with this controller. You can use thermocouples and PT100 or Cu50 RTD's.

Thermistors are not RTD's. An RTD is a piece on Platinum (usually) that is 100 ohms at 32F. A thermocouple is just two pieces of dissimilar metal twisted together. This generates a microvolt signal. A thermistor is is resistor (ceramic?) whose resistance varies with temperature and is not 100 ohms at 32F. You cannot use a thermistor with this controller. You can use thermocouples and PT100 or Cu50 RTD's.

So I can't use my Love Temp Probes (TS-5) on the Auber PID?

Guy: One more question....

My temp probes are only 2 wire, but (if I read your wiring diagram correctly) you have posts 6, 7 & 8 all wired. Do I run a jumper from post 6 to 7?

Gruversm,

Poobah is right. The thermistors will not worK. I forgot to put that in my post because I was pressed for time yesterday and I promised you a diagram. I had to give blood yesterday and got home from work a little later than I had anticipated.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with my wiring and electronics phase of my Brutus build. The build is now complete. Pictures will soon follow!

Cheers!!

Congratulations. Even though I mislead you on the thermocouple polarity. I realized it after your PM but I found out another poster helped you. For a guy who was not that familiar with this stuff you did extremely well. You should be very proud.

My Auber SYL-1512A2 PID can be put in the following Control Mode: PID, On-Off, or Limit. With my ASCO gas solenoid valve, is the best "control mode" PID or On-Off mode? When I have this in PID mode, the 'AL' light flashes on and off. However, in On-Off mode, the "AL" light is on or off.

For those of you who have this or similar AUber PID, which is the best control mode and "setting range"?

Latest posts

Back