10 gallon corny - fair price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
found some cornies on CL for a fair price. The guy shows me two 10 gal cornies, sans parts (no tubes, in/out valves, lids) and tells me they are for sale. He tells me to do some research and find a fair price. Guy is pretty bright, but not interested in doing a bunch of work. He tells me he does have the lids. They are in decent shape but need a good cleaning. Any ideas on what would be a fair offering?

Honestly, if it were me, and I needed more Kegs, I'd be willing to pay around $20 - $30 for the pair.

10 gallon cornies are pretty rare and are great for my 10 gallon batches. Unfortunately, I don't know how hard it's going to be to get all of the parts if he doesn't have dip tubes and such. You might want to see how much that stuff costs online.

If it were me, I'd pitch $20 for the pair and see what he does-- the shells and lids alone are definitely worth that much.

just re-read my post - let me clarify. I bought 3 five gallon cornies and he had two 10's lying around. So I got the 5's for a fair deal.
As far as 30 for both - not sure he'd take it. If he has the lids, which I understand are NOT the same size as the lids for the 5's, I was thinking about offering 30 a piece. But sounds like that might be too high....

I don't think that they necessarily have different lids. Some 10 gallon kegs will have a unique round lid, some the old racetrack lid, and newer ones take the standard corny keg lid. You really need to have a good look at the kegs, and decide how old and how unique they are, before you can decide what they are actually worth, let alone how much trouble they will be to fix up to a usable state...
but wasting time, money and energy is part of the fun, isn't it?

10 gallon cornies are awesome to ferment in. They are also pretty rare. I'd probably pay $100 for both of them if they were in good condition.

If he did have all the parts for them, then they would easily be worth a hundred bucks or more each. If not, I'd research the parts and then offer him a lower price based on what it's going to cost to refurbish them.

I have found that 10 gallon corny kegs in good shape go for 150-200 on ebay. Ones with dents in working condition usually go for 100-150.

Back