Mad Maxx Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
On a rare day off three months ago I was bored. I had $10 dollars in cash and wanted to make mead.

Could I do it?
I went across the street to Food Maxx discount supermarket and put together a $10 batch of mead using a gallon of spring water, some raisins, an Orange, on-sale honey and some fleischmans yeast.

tasted it tonight.
I could fuel a police interceptor across the outback with this.
after 3 drinks - it actually tasted good - actually not too bad.

A year from now, it may actually be something to pull out of the closet and compare with the competition sweet mead.

If the world goes to hell in a hand basket... I'll be able to make mead.
Or distill it into fuel... whatever seems most relevant at the time.

I have nothing useful to contribute. But I'm doing it anyways! thataintchicken, I can't help but see your username as 'tha taint chicken'

$10 and single source of supply. I'd have allowed for taking your yeast money to a cheap dry ale/wine yeast from somewhere that had one (I'm presently brewing with a 79 cent pack that I bought reduced for quick sale after it expired in 2001 - it's dry yeast, it's been in the fridge, it's perfectly fine.)

I do sometimes think about crafting a hooch recipe for the "how cheap can I make it" crowd - bread yeast, white sugar, a few raisins perhaps and a bad hangover coming. However, I don't want to brew even a gallon of it, and disapprove of promoting recipes that have not been done and aged and tasted.

HOLY CRAP.
this stuff smoothed out and is actually good. :ban:

hmm... might have to scavenge up $10 more bucks and see what a year's aging will do.

glad to hear that. I have the same thing, and it´s my only one so far.

Awesome. I still have mead from 9/07 I have to bottle, I hope it's got success like that too.

opened up another bottle tonight.

woof.

smooth. powerful.

could probably power a 2-stroke engine.
perfect for z-day.

Back