My First AG (Picture)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billism

Reaction score
I haven't really seen many homebrew pictures on this forum, but I figured I'd post mine anyway. Beer can be a beautiful thing.

This is my first AG brew; a hefeweizen. It turned out to be the best tasting hefe I have had. =) In many ways, it is thanks to this forum. I wish I could give everyone here a round. Thanks!

2006-04-12_19-06-58_large.jpg

I was just teasing you.

good looking beer. What was your grist, mash schedule and boil time. I just want to get an idea where the color is coming from.

Kai

billism said:
I wish I could give everyone here a round.
If not everyone, then it certainly wouldn't hurt you to bring me one...can't be more than thirty miles or so. ;)

Kaiser said:
I was just teasing you.

good looking beer. What was your grist, mash schedule and boil time. I just want to get an idea where the color is coming from.

Kai

BTW, in the picture, it looks just a little darker than what it really is. I think it is picking up some of the light off of the flag stone or shadows or something. It is darker than most hefeweizens I have seen, but not quite as dark as the picture shows.

Recipe:
5 lbs Pilsner Malt
4 lbs German Wheat Malt
1 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs rice husks (for better lautering)

2.4 oz Hallertau hopps:
1.6 oz for 90 minutes
0.8 oz at flame out

Wyeast 3068

I used bottled Ozarka Spring water, after reading my city's drinking
water analysis and then Ozarka Spring water analysis.

Mash grains at 155 degrees 90 minutes with 2.5 gallons of water. Sparge
with 3.5 gallons of water. Boil 90 minutes. Aerate well and pitch onto
yeast cake.

I got roughly 4.4 gallons into primary fermenter. I could have sparged with more water, but I wanted a stronger hefeweizen.

OG = 1.055
FG = 1.005

Looks nice. I'm all out of hefe and my next one will be my first all-grain hefeweizen. My last one was my first partial mash brew, and it came out great. I can't wait to try it all grain though. Hope mine looks as good as your's.

billism said:
Recipe:
5 lbs Pilsner Malt
4 lbs German Wheat Malt
1 lbs Munich Malt
1 lbs rice husks (for better lautering)
I'd expect this to be just slightly darker than, say, a Weihenstephan due to the Munich, but it's probably very, very close to a Scheider-Weisse which I prefer, anyways.

That is one goodlooking beer! :)

I wouldn't mind spending a few decades drinking that stuff while lazing around that pool. :cross:

Good work! There is something truly special about the first AG brew, isn't there? Knowing you've done the whole thing yourself and now you stand with a great beer in your hand. It's science . . but it's also magic. :)

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Back