Down and Dirty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebull

Reaction score
What is the quickest and safest way to clean and sanitize a CFC. I have a two tier system with a pump. I have read all the posts as I built my system, but now I'm having trouble. I think my second batch is infected. It skunks. Help!!!

I just flush mine with clean cold water right after I am done pumping the wort into my fermenter.
Then the next time I brew I circulate boiling wort through it for the last 15 minutes of the boil.

I do circulate hot PBW through it every 3 or 4 brews just to make sure.

I tried that twice. The first time it worked well and the second time the pump kept air locking, I think because the boil was creating air around the valve. Maybe just slowing the boil down might work.

Yeah, you do have to reduce the boil vigor a bit but you also only have to run it long enough to get the coil up to 200F or so. Then you can stop the pump and let it sit.

So, just to be clear, at T-15 min I run the wort through and back into the kettle for about 3 minutes and then shut it down. Once I flame out, I turn the cooling water on, recirculate the wort into the kettle for a minute, then let it go into the fermenter.

Thanks, it's finally clear and I think it will work. My pump was sucking air and I didn't expect that after a successful dry run. It did result in a bad batch I think.

Back