Yeast PSST.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it has been out above refrig temps for a while, yes. If you leave it even longer without breaking the seal, it will gush out. Best advice is to take it out of the frig, break the cap seal, leaving the cap on, and leave it standing in an upright position so the CO2 can escape.

psst if you're careful and lucky - yeast spray to the face if you open it too quickly :)

i always treat it like i'm opening a bottle of soda that's been shaken up a lot

No correlation. Some do, some don't. Nothing to worry about.

More important:
How old is it? How was it stored? What sort of problem around starter growth?

Yea, usually if you open it cold, it will be fine, but if you let it warm up a bit, it will fizz. I got a nice yeast facial the other day when I forgot this simple lesson.

The problem is after stepping it up I still see no growth.But I have not checked SG as I didnt realize till it was dumped that the layer of yeast was 1/32" <,,,,
less than it was before 24 hours on the stirplate.

The problem is after stepping it up I still see no growth.But I have not checked SG as I didnt realize till it was dumped that the layer of yeast was 1/32" <,,,,
less than it was before 24 hours on the stirplate.

What was the OG of your starter? Did you cold crash the starter so the yeast fell out?

Back