Bottled first brew tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edm1602

Reaction score
What an awesome feeling! I'm still learning though, so I have questions...

Used a Coopers Wheat Extract kit. OG (adjusted for temp) was 1.048 and alcohol was 6%. Almost 2 weeks in the primary and had a consistent FG of 1.021 and alcohol of almost 3%. I'm not good with the numbers, so does that seem right to everyone. Alcohol is a bit lower than I expected but I guess I really didn't know what to expect.

Any thoughts or comments?

1.021 seems a little high for an american wheat beer. A lot if people run into this, the 1.020 stall, especially with extract. You can combat it with pitching the right amount of yeast and proper oxygen levels in the wort. Let it set and see if it drops more.

Off topic, but I just bought a mini-fridge from someone in Schnecksville. Really nice natural scenery up there.
On topic, what Deuce said.

Google "abv calculator" and plug in your starting gravity and final gravity. Rooftop Brew gives 3.6% ABV.

Ignore the alcohol % scale on your hydrometer, If that is where you are getting your #'s from. I think it gives a "potential" alcohol figure. Essentially it is useless info for brewing.

1.021 sounds a bit high to me also, seems to me it should have been in the low to mid teens. But if it's in the bottle, it's in the bottle. Relax, and wait it out. from your gravity numbers it works out to about 3.5 % ABV. I'm on 10 brews in myself, it's a learning process, and this is a great place to find answers. Hope it turns out great.:tank:

Would the high gravity possibly be caused by my wort being too warm when I added it to the primary? I know that is something I need to correct next time.

Also, what different characteristics will I notice in the beer with a higher FG? Flavor changes, anything like that?

Extract stopped at 1.020, you didn't aerate the wort
AG stopped at 1.020 it didn't boil strong enough

Back