question about altering BK/MLT/HLT with spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've looked at a bunch of videos about how other people installed their spigots in their HLT/MLT/BK, and I was confused with their use of the female coupling.

What purpose does it serve? Is it used partly as a washer, to press against the inside of the container? Because I don't really see another reason to use one?

if adding copper piping for a manifold to the MLT, why not use a compression tube to female and screw that onto the nipple? Same thing goes for adding a dip tube to the BK.

The only other place I could see why it would be used would be to make the HLT look nice on the inside.

If anyone could give me some insight on the matter, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jay

The nipple with o-ring and locknut are the keys to the inside of the bulkhead. What you do with that from there is up to you. I put elbows on mine and sometimes a hose barb to reach further down. You could do compression fitting with copper too.

The nipple with o-ring and locknut are the keys to the inside of the bulkhead. What you do with that from there is up to you. I put elbows on mine and sometimes a hose barb to reach further down. You could do compression fitting with copper too.

Thanks for the input!

I have a feeling it is a cosmetic reasoning, as I also think it looks much better.

On this same topic, is it actually necessary to have an O-ring on the other side of the nipple? (outside of the cooler/pot) Or just a few washers? If the washers are good enough, would the O-ring improve the seal at all?

Thanks again!
Jay

Thanks for the input!

I have a feeling it is a cosmetic reasoning, as I also think it looks much better.

On this same topic, is it actually necessary to have an O-ring on the other side of the nipple? (outside of the cooler/pot) Or just a few washers? If the washers are good enough, would the O-ring improve the seal at all?

Thanks again!
Jay

I have 2 of bargainfittings keg/kettle kits and 1 of their cooler kits. The o-ring goes in the inside, against the vessel wall, with grooved locknut behind it. None of them leak with hand-tightening.

Wayne's element kits with locknut and o-ring don't leak either. I have 4 of them. Solid products.

female fitting allows addition of a dip-tube
P1010618.jpg

female fitting allows addition of a dip-tube
P1010618.jpg

Sorry about the half resurrection of this thread, but is that female adapter on the nipple after a locknut? Or is it just nipple-->silicone O-ring/gasket--->female adapter--->copper elbow?

In everyones set up I see locknuts everywhere, but couldn't any female threaded fitting act as a locknut?

Thanks for your help,
Jay

Back