Sight Glass idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronhrab

Reaction score
okay so I am down to getting the materials together for my sight glasses and I came across this on McMaster Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#=fjsq5e

It is a plastic coupling for tube to pipe rated for up to 215 degrees and for use with potable drinking water. My theory is that if you can run hot drinking water through it then why not hot wort? I would use polycarbonate tubing with it for the sight glass.

So the big question is in everyone's professional opinion would this work? My thinking is at 5 bucks for a pack of 5 why not get a pack toss one into boiling water, cool the water and see if it tastes like a combination of plastic and butt.

It's not the boiling wort I'd be worried about but rather the heat wash from a burner. If you have an electric kettle it will be fine. The link you posted doesn't go to any particular item though so I can't comment much more. How about an item number?

Good point here is the item number, and I do have an electric setup so external heat is not a concern for me...unless my wiring catches the house on fire. Here is the part number 5016K444

Just an aside - 3/8" tubing is pretty darn small for brewing. I'd get one of the bigger one and bigger tubing or you'll have a pretty significant restriction. I'd say 1/2" at a very minimum and 5/8" is better.

Back