What to do with 5 gallons of apple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
In December I will get 5 gallons of apple juice from a local orchard. Any suggestions on what I could make?

My wife and I like a medium-dry wine. I also would not mind trying to make a dessert wine.

I don't think I have ever had an apple cider and wonder if that is any different than wine.

What would you make?

I'll also give the thumbs up to apfelwein. But most people I have shared this with believe its too tart. I followed Ed's recipe exactly. I myself think it's good and it is only at 5 months. If you like dry wines, you might like this.
You could also do an English cider with an ale yeast. I just bottled 5 gal. last week using S04 and back sweetening with apple juice concentrate. I just polished one off. It's very good.
I have to admit, I have been consuming more ciders lately than beer. :confused:

Ok Im going to implement a new policy. Since I am so far away from an LHBS (and broke as a joke) I have no access to corn sugar currently. After hearing all of this apfelwine talk I am going to have to amend my "you are all welcome at my house" policy to "you are all welcome at my house, assuming you bring either apfelwine or corn sugar."

Otherwise its gonna be months before I taste the stuff.

I was scared off by some of the comments on the Apfelwein taking ages to mellow out, so I made some Graff. Turned out pretty good IMO and it was ready to drink as soon as it was carbed.

I make a variation of Edwort's Apfelwein. I have been using 5 gallons of apple juice, 6 cups table sugar, 2 teaspoons yeast nutrient and Premier Cuvee yeast. I let it sit in the primary for 3 months then rack to 2 liter soda bottles with 1.5 TBS sugar in each. After 3 weeks it is nicely carbed and I love it. Just about everyone who tries it thinks it is great. Cheapest stuff I ever made!

Back