Favorite Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This probably belongs in the Brewing Software section but I don't see many people frequenting there :) Anyhow, I searched around the forum for opinions about software but I couldn't really find any similar threads except one from 2007 and I am assuming that more software has been released/updated since then.

So, could you please give me your opinions on what the best brewing software is and why you feel that way? I am new to all-grain so if one application is better than another for all-grain-noobies please let me know.

Thank you!

I'm not certain any one of them is better. For the most part, they all work. Each has its quirks. The for-money programs almost always offer a fully functional trial version, and the free ones are, well, free. Try them and see which one works for you.

I'm not certain any one of them is better. For the most part, they all work. Each has its quirks. The for-money programs almost always offer a fully functional trial version, and the free ones are, well, free. Try them and see which one works for you.

I have tried both QBrew and Brewmate (both free) and I don't really like either of them. The ones I hear mentioned most often are Beer Tools Pro and Beer Smith. Since I only want to purchase one I'm looking for opinions. Do both Beer Smith and Beer Tools tell you what temperature to mash at depending on the recipe, grain temp and things like that? I don't want to download any timed trials because I won't be brewing again until mid-late December.

Thanks again.

beersmith is the only ive used but i love it. very easy to use.

it has pre-sets for mashing, but i usuaaly do my own mash.

Check out Brewtarget. Its open source (free) and is pretty full featured. There is a thread about it on HBT as well. Just search it.

I use Beertools pro and like it very much, the visual look of the output is beautiful, I like the program, don't understand the website and the subscription price(I don't see any value in the web site) I would love to buy updated ingredient data, but that's not part of the subscription price. I also like importing recipes and exporting recipes via beer XML since it's a flexible standard. It's also based on recient windows tools so it looks and feels like a windows program, not something that was written for DOS and ported.

This of course doesn't apply to everyone, but I'm really digging brew pal on iphone (I think for any iOS device). It's full featured (once you find the secret settings page for each tab, by clicking the gear in the upper right) and always in my pocket, so I always have my recipes and info with me. The only thing I find myself needing in addition to it is a yeast starter calculator (ie mrmalty.com), everything else is does for me.

The one feature I wish it had, though, is a way to keep recipes separate from actual brews of that recipe.

I use beersmith. I find the interface fairly simple to master. It doesn't have preset temps for the mashes based on style, just a generic preset for the type of mash. I don't know if other software is more functional but I find beersmith works for 98% of my brewing recipe needs.

21 day time trial then I think it's $20 to buy.

I use brewtarget, it's free and easy to use. Just read the tutorial and adjust it to your setup. Seems to work great.

beertools pro for 2 reasons:

1. It was by far and away the most modern "feeling" to use, and

2. I can load it on both my mac and my PC and the recipes are readable/writeable on both.

I think it has the most bells and whistles, but that also means you have to learn them all.

best thing to do is try all of them.. then you will know which interface you click with. FYI, last i heard, promash is no longer going to be updated.. might be a rumor.

have fun.

Does my own Excel spreadsheet count? Not only does it work exactly how I want it to, but I can make any upgrades I want and I know a lot more about how each individual ingredient or process step affects the outcome. I'm open to sharing if anyone is interested. It's setup really well for batch sparging and includes water adjustments and yeast pitching from a slurry or starter.

I tried Beer Tools Pro and then BeerAlchemy. I decided on BeerAlchemy. BTP does a couple things Alchemy doesn't and same goes the other way.

I like the iTunes configuration of Alchemy and it feels easier to maneuver for someone who thinks using Windows is like Bizarro world...(me)...
Alchemy has good inventory aids but a so-so inventory. Also, there are a couple more useful tools (like that MrMalty pitching rate calc is built in, refrac tools, etc.) that make it better IMO than BTP. I love how it has a web client so you can just purchase your needed ingredients from regular suppliers, or just email your recipe to one with one click. I also like printing out 'Instructions' just to nail down your day without having to open the laptop.

Neither of them have good water salts tools that work as well as the EZ Water Adjust spreadsheet. I still use that.

+1 on brew pal. It does what I need and I always have it with me. But it all comes down to personal preference. If you like the software you use and make good beer with it then carry on!

The one feature I wish it had, though, is a way to keep recipes separate from actual brews of that recipe.

This is why I settled on BeerAlchemy. I like the menu layout which keeps the recipe intact and then adds each new batch. This allows me to make easy changes while still keeping the history of the changes I have made to the recipe easy to follow.

Alchemy has good inventory aids but a so-so inventory.

I like that I can add/subtract/edit my ingredient list whenever I want. I actually took out a lot of the pre-loaded hops because I don't use them anyway. If I ever do, it will take 2 seconds to add that variety back to my inventory with the actual AA content. Plus, I changed the way the names were displayed to reflect my own ordering system. For example, I took the country names out of a lot of the grains to keep it more simple and easier to search.

I also like printing out 'Instructions' just to nail down your day without having to open the laptop.

Another big benefit of BeerAlchemy. I love having my instruction sheet in my pocket.

Beersmith is the only software I've ever used so I can't say one way or another. However, I read in previous posts about other brewing softwares updating frequently. Unfortunately Beersmith doesn't seem to update their ingredient database that often. You are able to manually enter in data to the ingredient database, you just have to do a little work.

If you have some time you may want to browse the following thread for more opinions.
Beersmith, Beertools, Promash. Which is Best and What Do You Have?

Which one is the one that makes that sweet "Very Malty vs Very Hoppy" graph?

This is why I settled on BeerAlchemy. I like the menu layout which keeps the recipe intact and then adds each new batch. This allows me to make easy changes while still keeping the history of the changes I have made to the recipe easy to follow.

I like that I can add/subtract/edit my ingredient list whenever I want. I actually took out a lot of the pre-loaded hops because I don't use them anyway. If I ever do, it will take 2 seconds to add that variety back to my inventory with the actual AA content. Plus, I changed the way the names were displayed to reflect my own ordering system. For example, I took the country names out of a lot of the grains to keep it more simple and easier to search.

Another big benefit of BeerAlchemy. I love having my instruction sheet in my pocket.

Agreed on all counts. After using Alchemy, I cant believe i ever was happy with the crappy beer recipator.

I also did the same things you did, remove ingredients and such that I don't use, change some of the names to fit what I get from my LHBS, deleted all the yeasts except for White Labs as thats all I ever use. etc.

I love the customization and the organization of alchemy. its just a fantastic program that does get regular updates, is user freindly, and in my opinion the best way to go for the Mac OS and brewing software

I'd sure like to check out spreadsheet you are using. I am not too savy on building one but I am looking for something a little different than BeerSmith.

Thanks!

Back