Car...Boom!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewslut

Reaction score
carboysplode.jpg

Well It finally happened....I smashed one of my carboys....wasnt pretty!!

If I stay with glass for a bit ,I will be putting all my carboys in Homeboy buckets before I even begin anything to do with moving,sanitizing, ect.This will be gobbs safer and will give me a little more piece of mind that I'll end up with both hands full of fingers after the brew day.

You okay? No injury?
I second the vote for milk crates. And, when I rinse a carboy, I just put it into the milk crate upside down. Dries just fine. I angle the neck into a corner.

I've never put a carboy into a homer bucket but I sure would be worried about a full carboy creating a suction underneath it and never getting the bucket off without cutting. Do they have enough room to slide in and back out? (keep your mind out of the gutter there, fellas) Another plus with the milk crate, I can grab the carboy by the neck and after he brings my car around, refuse to tip him. Seriously, I can get a hand under the carboy, in the crate, and lift it out pretty easily should I need to. Usually, I don't need too. But, I can.

and made sure I had all my fingers to hold my daughters hand!!! thanks for the concern fellas thankfully no injury(other than my ego)

they are such fickle beasts those carboys...

I had one that rolled down my back concrete steps (only two of them) and was fine...then another that fell over while drying and shattered like it had a bomb in it

Glad noone was hurt....its a great picture though :)

Does anybody use brew hauler. Thats all I use, I couldn't imagine someone just picking up a full carboy and carrying it.

I use milk crates for all of my carboys. I prefer the added protection of the crates compared to the brew hauler. I bought 2 from AHS and sent them back. Nothing wrong with the product, but I don't see any added advantage to them over a milk crate.

Glad the OP is ok!

I carry full carboys down the stairs from my garage to my basement all the time. Though, now that I think of it, might not be the safest thing to do.

Does anybody use brew hauler. Thats all I use, I couldn't imagine someone just picking up a full carboy and carrying it.

I've done it, and carried it all the way the length of the house. Haven't tried the basement steps though, we don't have them here. Not too tough if you get a good grip on the top, and I put an arm underneath. But, I much prefer my milk crates. Plus, it's actually pretty easy to pick a full carboy up with a hand truck while it's in the crate. Though, I haven't done that with a carboy of fermented anything with a yeast cake. Might just try it. Fermenter closet is across the house from the brew area. Plus, the hand truck might give it a smoother ride. And, I salute those that do carry them bare down the basement steps. I'm pretty sure the first time would "scare" me just a bit.

Back