advice on a PepsiCo branded co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbeerboy

Reaction score
a friend gave me a 20# co2 tank that has a PepsiCo branding close to the neck of the tank. i DO know for a FACT that he got this honestly, not stolen, but every place he took it to to exchange accused him of theft, so he said screw it.

i know i can get it filled, then get a hydrotest next year when it's up, but i'd rather not mess with that.

i'm wondering if i should just take it in and try (since i removed all the pepsi co stickers).

any ideas?

You could remove all the stickers, wire brush the tank, and put a fresh coat of paint on it. Then either have it filled or swap it out. Here in NYC they only swap out. So they'd be getting a nice clean new tank that's empty, and you're getting a beat up one that's full.

Seems like you win to me.

B

Maryland they swap them also, just take it to a welding/gas shop and swap it out. I brought them a nice red Coke tank with stamps and stickers still on it and swapped it for a nice clean silver one full of gas.

Unless you need your tank to be pretty why bother with hydro testing they give you a full tested tank. Sometimes I get beat up ones, some times newer pretty ones.

Maryland they swap them also, just take it to a welding/gas shop and swap it out. I brought them a nice red Coke tank with stamps and stickers still on it and swapped it for a nice clean silver one full of gas.

Unless you need your tank to be pretty why bother with hydro testing they give you a full tested tank. Sometimes I get beat up ones, some times newer pretty ones.

and sometimes aluminum tanks
I thank them everytime as I have to carry it down the basement stairs :ban:

yeah, my buddy tried to swap it at Roberts. they wouldn't do it.

I too was recently given a steel #20 tank (with Canada Dry stickers on it :) ). It's pretty rusted up around the handle/collar and the base of the on/off valve. Anyone know if a company like Air Gas will take it?? Thoughts?

If it's stamped, no big place will take it. I got a 20# Pepsi one on CL and the big gas place told me no one would accept it. Then I called my local fire supply store (I think? They fill all the extinguishers around here) and got it tested and filled, no problem.

So I'd say look for the smaller places, and maybe ones that fill instead of swap.

I bought a Pepsi stamped one on CL a while back and it was out of Hydro, but it being a nice alum tank I did not want to trade it in and get a steel one, so I got a tube of Bondo filled in the stamps sanded and painted. I then took it to airgas and got it tested restamped and filled. I now have a legal, nicely painted quality Alum tank good for 5 more years.

Back