Brewers Best Scottish Ale too smoky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I just opened the first bottle of the Brewers Best Scottish Ale that I brewed on 5/14. Its been carbing for about 2 weeks. It tastes good, but a little on the smoky side compared to other Scottish Ales I've had. I'm wondering if anyone else has made this particular kit and had similar results. There were 2 things that won't slightly funky when I brewed this up. 1...when steeping the grains, I accidentally let the temp run up to about 170F for a few minutes and 2...the fermentation temp got a little high at 74F. I used the Danstar Windsor yeast that comes with the kit. It still tastes great...just more like a Scottish Rauch ale..maybe aging in the fridge will mellow out a little more but its missing that caramel sweetness that I'm used to. TIA

I had an Amber Ale that used Windsor and the temps got a little high too and it had a "funk" to it. Mine wasn't smokey, but more earthy. I think that the higher fermentation temp might have something to do with it. But hey if it tastes good thats all that matters! :mug:

Brewed this just after Christmas and I'd definitely agree that it's on the smokey side. I was a bit disappointed at first but rather enjoy it now.

Back