Hops overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskram

Reaction score
I'm going to be making this recipe tomorrow and I'm going to dry hop an additional oz of Cascade. Overkill?
6.6 lbs. Light or Gold Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. British Pale Grain (cracked)
¾ oz. Chinook Hops
1½ oz. Cascade Hops
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - American Ale

Mash all grains in 1 gal water at 158°F for 30 min. Sparge at 170°F to make 2 gal. Add malt & ¾ oz. Chinook. Boil for 60 min. adding ½ oz. Cascade at 30 minute mark (mid-point of boil), another ½ oz. at 50 minute mark, & final ½ oz. after boil has stopped. Let sit for 10 min. (to allow for steeping). Strain into fermenter filled with 3 gal. ice cold water. Pitch yeast when cooled to 80°F or lower.
Yields 5 gal.

I have a batch of this exact recipe going right now(sans the dry hop), which I haven't bottled yet, so I don't know what it tastes like yet.

I plugged this into ProMash and came up with 77 IBU's. I'm using their defaults for hop alpha acids and assuming whole hops. To really know for sure, we'd need the alpha acid percentages of your hops and if they are pellet hops, whole, etc.

But 77 IBU's is in India Pale Ale territory or, more acurately, American versions of IPA, since we tend to really hop things up here in the States. Personally, I'd love it! And if you like IPA's and/or hoppy beers, this would be great!

Good luck with it! Let us know how it turns out!

Rhoobarb said:
...since we tend to really hop things up here in the States. Personally, I'd love it! And if you like IPA's and/or hoppy beers, this would be great!

I agree 100%!!! I love a hoppy beer, always a winner.

Good luck with it!

Eskram said:
I'm going to be making this recipe tomorrow and I'm going to dry hop an additional oz of Cascade. Overkill?
6.6 lbs. Light or Gold Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. British Pale Grain (cracked)
¾ oz. Chinook Hops
1½ oz. Cascade Hops
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - American Ale

Mash all grains in 1 gal water at 158°F for 30 min. Sparge at 170°F to make 2 gal.
Next time mash the grain for a full hour. You'll get better extraction. With a pale malt, you got to give the enzymes time to do their job, with crystal malts, the job's already been done so you can get by with just steeping.

ScottT said:
Next time mash the grain for a full hour. You'll get better extraction. With a pale malt, you got to give the enzymes time to do their job, with crystal malts, the job's already been done so you can get by with just steeping.

Very good point! :)

Rhoobarb said:
And if you like IPA's and/or hoppy beers, this would be great!

Good luck with it! Let us know how it turns out!

I love hoppy beers, which is the reason I wanted to dry hop this batch. I'm using whole hops, but I have no clue what their actual alpha acid percentages are.

ScottT said:

Hmm.. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.
embeer.gif

It's going to be interesting to compare the two batches.

Hmm.. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.

Steeping works for crystal malt and specialty malt, but for 2-row/pale they need to be mashed to extract the sugar. Steeping won't do. A mash of ~150-155oF for about an hour will be well worth your time! :) Next thing you know, you'll be doing all-grain brewng! :D

More, more! Being that it will be a concentrated boil, you are not going to get the hop utilization you would with a full volume boil. I recently did a 6gal IPA AG with 3/4oz Nugget and 1oz cascade for 60min, 2.5oz cascade for 15min and 2oz cascade dry hopped. While it was intense, it still was not pushing the limit.

Thanks everyone.

I just got done brewing. :)

I steeped the grains for a full-hr as suggested.

I also used my turkey fryer burner for the first time. It's nice to be able to get a full rolling boil in <15 min. It took me a few minutes to find the right temp so it didn't boil over. I do think I need a bigger brew pot though.. My 16qt just isn't big enough to hold 2.5 gallons at a full boil unattended w/o boiling over every 45 seconds..

I also seemed to boil away a lot more liquid than I have previous times when I used my electric stove. The wort seemed thicker than it has past times. It tasted pretty good though. Definitely hoppy. :)

Thanks again.
embeer.gif

Back