Am I the only one? (Ball Lock Kegs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbachunk

Reaction score
I for the life of me have the hardest time trying to get my gas lines onto my ball lock kegs. I have no issue with my outs and force carbing through the out is easy, but I always seem to spend 5-10 minutes struggling getting the darn gas line in to go on properly. So is it just me? Any tips or suggestions?

*Note I have attempted to lube the disconnect and shaft prior.

I keep a spray bottle of star san around. When I put the gas line on a keg, I spritz the inside of the disconnect, and it slides on just fine.

Make sure you have the right posts on the gas side.

Someone posted about the same problem a few weeks ago. They had a liquid post on the gas inlet.

Make sure you have the right posts on the gas side.

Someone posted about the same problem a few weeks ago. They had a liquid post on the gas inlet.

Egg on my face. I swore I had this setup right :(

Thanks for the tip, now I am not straining myself

Egg on my face. I swore I had this setup right :(

Thanks for the tip, now I am not straining myself

Trust me, it's more common than you think! The parts seem the same, but they're not! And, they are different from keg to keg besides. That's why I clean one keg at a time, with the parts separated like the long diptube and "out" parts on the left, and the "in" parts on the right side of the next- not even near each other!

Some people have posted that they tore down 4 kegs at a time to clean, and then mixed up all of the parts thinking they were the same. Trust us- they are NOT and at least you had a relatively small issue!

I have this same problem. I've verified my gas post has the notch in them. What else can I check. I main problem is removing the quick connects more so than connecting them.

cornies and challenger vi's are all the same thread and wrench size. i have put two dip tubes into a keg. not sure how it was supposed to work. and the best one: had the posts swapped. when all i got was gas instead of root beer, i switched the dip tubes and still got gas. then i realized i had the posts reversed.

cornies and challenger vi's are all the same thread and wrench size. i have put two dip tubes into a keg. not sure how it was supposed to work. and the best one: had the posts swapped. when all i got was gas instead of root beer, i switched the dip tubes and still got gas. then i realized i had the posts reversed.

Not mine- they are NOT the same size. I have some 11/16", some 7/8", some 12 point star, etc. I have one keg that I absolutely can NOT find a socket for. It's not 11/16" and it's not 7/8" or any other one in my deep socket set!

IP, I don't know why you'd be having trouble if they are the correct post. Is the QD "tight"? Maybe there is some goop stuck in side there. The QDs are easy to take apart- just use a screwdriver (flat head) on the top.

I had a similar problem, for me it was the o-ring on the outside of the post. it was a little loose and was being "pinched" when i was forcing the QD on. Didn't notice until i broke it trying to pull off the QD.

IP, I don't know why you'd be having trouble if they are the correct post. Is the QD "tight"? Maybe there is some goop stuck in side there. The QDs are easy to take apart- just use a screwdriver (flat head) on the top.

I might have to do this with one of my QDs. It is a gas in, well it's gray and say "GAS" on it, but it is VERY tight on the gas side and on a carbonater cap, fits just great on the line out though.

Back