Cutting a perforated stainless steel false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plasma definitely the way to go, I looked up welding shops in your area and you have one in town (Liberty Welding and Machine). I work with metal fabricators on a daily basis and you should be able to get this cut for $10 or less. Once you have it close you can do the final fitting with the dremel or a grinder. good luck.

:rockin:

bad67z - I think I need to move to Columbus, Oh.
I don't think I could get a horrible welder to look at something for $10. Plus German Town, OU, affordable housing. Take this very nicely but YOU SUCK. :)

Don't forget to only use new blades or blades that have only been used on stainless. Otherwise, metal shavings can get ground into the stainless (from previous projects) and cause it to rust. This, of course, assumes you actually do some of it yourself rather than getting it all done professionally.

Kahuna- sorry you have to pay such a for living in paradise we ALL feel your pain. :D

But it should take no longer than 3 minutes to cut this false bottom down even less if the required diameter is marked before he takes it in. Don't let your horrible welders BS you, if you figure 5 minutes @ $10 = $60/hr. I'm a salesmen for a welding equipment and filler metal manufacturer and started my carer over 15 years ago as a fabricator. Just trying to share my experience.

Quick Ohio geography course Germantown is south of Dayton German Village (Brewery District) is in South Columbus. OU (Ohio University) is in Athens, OSU (The Ohio State University) is in Columbus. As for the real estate it would be a perfect time to buy the market just took a 2O% hit.

And no offense taken Kahuna, as I mentioned I'm in industrial sales, I'm Irish and live in the mid-west. Need I say more.

Cheers :mug:

A vertical bandsaw could do the job as well. Not that either a vertical bandsaw or plasma cutter are easy to come by.

Dremel will defintiely work, it'll just take a while.

The plasma cutter would be best since they usually have circle cutting templates.

If you're using the angle grinder or even the Dremel, I'd suggest you make a circle jig to hold the tool and pivot it on the center hole. Something metal would be best but even a 1x2, a pivot screw and a bunch of zip ties to hold the tool would work.

That way you at least have a shot a circle.

Back