Did I make an O'Doul's style dopplebock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDude2000

Reaction score
I have a dopplebock in the primary that I brewed last Sunday. The OG was 1.032. Its day 4, I just checked the SG and it was 1.044. WTH?

I'd say your readings are wrong. An increase of gravity wouldn't be possible unless you added something. Are you using a hydrometer or refrac?

Was it an extract kit? Did you use top off water to achieve your final volume?

Sounds to me like you got your OG from a watered down sample.

I'm using a hydrometer. It's got my head scratching because that was definately the OG. I was having some homebrew, but my sight wasn't that off. It's a phenomenon!

I was using LME (not a kit), and yes, I topped off the wort to make it 5 gallons before checking OG.

h4mmy86 said:
Was it an extract kit? Did you use top off water to achieve your final volume?

Sounds to me like you got your OG from a watered down sample.

This could very well be the cause. Did you correct for temp on both readings?

It's a Christmas Miracle? Or a sign of God's Wrath, he's taken away the gift of fermentation prior to the coming judgement. If it's even higher tomorrow, we'll know.

( A temp change could account for some change in reading, but not that much, chances are you had a watered down sample. Did you pitch a big starter?)

Thanks for the laugh, Weizenstein! I almost fell off my chair.

I did correct the temp within 2 degrees.

Agree that it is a weak dopple, except that I don't even know what my true OG was. That's what I get for swapping recipes with a friend of mine. My real thought is that my hydrometer is jacked up. I'm going to check it in water in a minute. If nothing else, I'll just keep checking SG and see what happens. I may wind up in Ripley's if my hydrometer is okay.

Thanks for the laugh, Weizenstein! I almost fell off my chair.

I did correct the temp within 2 degrees.

Agree that it is a weak dopple, except that I don't even know what my true OG was. That's what I get for swapping recipes with a friend of mine. My real thought is that my hydrometer is jacked up. I'm going to check it in water in a minute. If nothing else, I'll just keep checking SG and see what happens. I may wind up in Ripley's if my hydrometer is okay.

If you post the recipe and the volume of the batch, we can give you a pretty close OG. Of course, you know that it's impossible for the SG to rise, so obviously one (or both) of the readings are incorrect.

Back