Bottom Drain BK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
So I stole this guys idea and design https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rip-cooler-e-hlt-helloooooo-bottom-drain-keg-e-hlt-176101/ and plan to integrate it into my Brutus 20e. I have them leak testing right now and all looks good. Instead of the silicone cooking sheet for a seal I carefully cut off one ridge of the seal for the tri-clover and it seems to work well.

I want to use this in the BK as well as the MT. I'm looking at using the hop bag https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Hop_Filter cut short enough not to melt on the element. Cooling will be with a mounted IC in the BK that will also serve as the HERMS. When headed to the fermenter I'll screen through a SS colander as well.

Any reason the bottom drain BK is a bad idea? Just thought I would check before I start hacking at my kegs, cutting the wrong end would make for a very bad day.

I have the exact same setup for my MLT and HLT on my hard plumbed system; but chose to stick with a side drain and pickup tube for the BK. I have an all electric system so one of the following doesn't apply to my system but may to yours: if you whirlpool in the BK at the end of boil your trub cone will settle over the drain (exact opposite of what you want to happen), if it is gas fired it will cause issues with the seal of the drain.

I have a bottom drain on one of my BKs. I have it off center to give me just a little deadspace. This is so I can whirlpool.

If you do not care to whirlpool, then I see no issue with the bottom drain in the center.

J

I don't plan to whirlpool, but this is my first AG set up and my first brew on it will be my first AG, and this is a not something I can change easily down the road, shy of finding another keg.

So I can't say I don't want to, just didn't plan on it and thought the other options would be good substitutes for whirlpooling, but I haven't seen it or done anything hands on with it.

Everything I know about building this and AG I have read on here and have yet to actually execute.

Pickles, I'm electric too so no worries on the gas fired seals, 5500w RIPP.

Back