Pumpkin beers: Discussion, developing recipes, tips tricks, and a good practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys aren't sick of reviewing Pumpkin Ale recipes yet, I put together a Belgian Pumpkin Ale I'm thinking about using a locally harvested Wild Yeast on...

YEAST INFO:

The yeast has a Medium Floc, but responds well to finings; atentuation range between 78%-84%;

temp tolerance of 66-94 degrees;

It is a belgian style yeast that may contain some Brett, however no lacto-baccilli;

At lower temps it supports malt forward beers with a mild sweetness and few esters, as temp increases it supports more banana and clove flavors, further increases start to create hazelnut, dark fruit, and bubblegum flavors, and above 82 degrees it imparts a certain pepperiness.

No tartness, and only minimal saison like farm yard character.

RECIPE:

Recipe: Belgian Pumpkin Ale
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.99 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 12.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 50.0 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.8 %
0.75 oz Magnum [12.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 28.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 2.8 %
6 lbs Pumpkin (3.0 SRM) Sugar 6 33.3 %
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7 5.6 %
0.50 tsp Cinnamon (Ground, Dry) (Boil 1.0 mins) Spice 11 -
0.25 tsp Ginger Root (Ground, dry) (Boil 1.0 mins Herb 10 -
0.13 tsp Nutmeg (Ground, Dry) (Boil 1.0 mins) Spice 13 -
0.13 tsp All Spice (Ground, Dry) (Boil 1.0 mins) Spice 12 -
1.0 pkg West Philly Wild Yeast (WPW #4) Yeast 15 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.63gal, 3.75gal) of 168.0 F water

(Edited the water volumes... I was getting some weird amounts in the previous post. I fixed my equipment set-up in Beersmith though and it looks pretty good now)

I hope I get some feedback, as this is only the second recipe I ever put together. I kind of combined Jamil's recipe with Southern Tier's Pumking, plus a belgian style yeast.

What do you think?

The recipe looks solid. The only thing that I'm questionable on is the lactose, I don't know how that will work in a beer with belgian yeast character. You may want to lower the bittering down to like 20 IBU and drop the lactose so that a malt sweetness comes through but the beer remains dry and not artificially sweet. That's just my opinion though.

I would like to hear more about that yeast though! Did you catch it or was it caught by someone else? Sounds like it has been fairly extensively documented and the flavors it makes sound awesome! Any way for interested brewers to get a slant or something?

Sounds pretty interesting, but with 6 lbs of pumpkin I'd increase your rice hulls to at least 1 lb if not 2, they're cheap insurance to a stuck mash.

Good luck!! I plan on brewing my latest attempt at the pumking next weekend if I can get my rig finished by then!

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! I was thinking about dropping the IBU's down a bit as well. I just wasn't sure how much... I dropped the Magnum down to about .5 ounce and that brought the IBU's to 18.9.

The only reason I was going to add the Lactose was to increase the mouthfeel a bit, as I feel as though Pumpkin may have some in there as well.

Maybe bring it down to 1/2 lb or should I drop it all together since I'm using the Wild yeast?

King Brian.... I got the West Philly Wild yeast from a local homebrew club meeting. The owner of my LHBS was there handing out samples from a customer of his that was trying to sell it.

I have the guys email/contact info if you are interested in getting some.... I don't know the guy at all, but like I said the local homebrew supply owner was handing out samples in the hopes that people would be interested in it and want to buy some. If you are serious about getting some, I'll email him and see if he still has any...

I brewed a pumpkin ale the first week of august and just bottled it yesterday... tasted pretty good if not a tad boozey. The recipe went something like this...

7lbs two row pale
4lbs munich
1lb crystal 60
1.5 cups of organic turbinado sugar (in hindsight I would have used dark brown sugar)
2oz tettnanger hop pellets
a large can of libby's pumpkin (thrown in the mash)
wyeast 1056
about 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice blend (end of boil)

It was supposed to be a five gallon batch but I lost a bit straining a TON of trub out of the kettle. I primed with DME, and heard that it might take a bit longer than with corn sugar but that's no prob since we have a while before All Hallows eve!

Question about equipment - I'm going to be using my homemade Rubbermaid cooler mash tun for this (the kind with a stainless steel braid as a filter). Will that be an issue with pumpkin getting inside it and clogging?

Question about equipment - I'm going to be using my homemade Rubbermaid cooler mash tun for this (the kind with a stainless steel braid as a filter). Will that be an issue with pumpkin getting inside it and clogging?

Use some rice hulls, should keep from clogging you up with a stuck mash. Update on my ale: it came out awesome. People that have sampled it say that it is only bested by pumking from the others that they have had. I'm extremely happy with the results!

I came up with a really good method using canned pumpkin to avoid any problems with runoff or a stuck sparge. http://hollisbrewco.blogspot.com/2011/09/pumpkin-ale-brew-day.html I just dissolved the canned pumpkin pie filling in my mash water while it was heating up. the rims system was recirculating the water at the time so that ensured it all got dissolved.

Same here. Made sure the canned stuff was disssolved and also used some real pumpkin. I did 15 gallons in a sanke keg using a RIMS. Used about 2-3# rice hulls and ran beautifully!

I was looking up some veggies last night and thought it'd be interesting to use some butternut squash along with pumpkin in a spiced pumkin/squash ale. I think the combo of the pumpkin and nuttiness from the squash would work well. I'll plan for that next year since I already baked all my pumpkin last night for brewday tomorrow. I used Fairy Tale pumpkins for this year's batch instead of canned pumpkin.

I was looking up some veggies last night and thought it'd be interesting to use some butternut squash along with pumpkin in a spiced pumkin/squash ale. I think the combo of the pumpkin and nuttiness from the squash would work well. I'll plan for that next year since I already baked all my pumpkin last night for brewday tomorrow. I used Fairy Tale pumpkins for this year's batch instead of canned pumpkin.

I use pumpkin, butternut squash and sweet potato.

I've got 2 questions. 1) Has anyone brewed the Brewing Classic Styles pumpkin beer?

Yep. It's my go-to every fall. I roast two pie pumpkins until well-carmelized, cube one and mash up the other before adding to my mash (along with a crap ton of rice hulls). Mash for 90 min. I toss in the spices 1 min before flameout. Mine's been in the fermentor for 3 weeks now. Just crashed it last night. Great beer.:mug:

Brewed 3 weeks ago.
dooman333 said:
5 gallon batch

6lbs LME
1lb Crystal 30
0.5lb Chocolate

8 lbs of cubed pumpkin added (once baked for 1 hour @ 350 with HALF of spices sprinkled on top)

Spice...

1 tsp Cinnamon
0.5 tsp Ginger
0.5 tsp All Spice
0.5 tsp Nutmeg

Half sprinkled on baking pumpkin.
Other half added to wort.

1oz East Kent Golding pellet @ 60min
1oz Fuggles pellet @ 30min

1tsp Irish Moss @ 15min

Safale US-05

Estimates...

OG 1.051
FG 1.013
IBU 35.6
ABV 5.01
SRM 20.9

Didn't like how weak it tasted at the 2 week mark so I vodka teabagged in some more spices.Been fermenting for 3 weeks. What do u think? How long should I keep her in the secondary? Thanks guys!
:rockin:

Anyone have thoughts/experience with using Challenger hops in a Pumpkin Ale?

I've got an ounce in the freezer but don't have a lot of experience with using it. I'm concerned the aroma and bitterness quality might clash with the pumpkin spices.

I'm thinking 1/2 oz first wort and 1/2 oz @ 15 minutes into a Northern English Brown base. BeerSmith estimates 21 IBUs with 0.459 IBU/SG.

has anyone added pumpkin after fermentation? I was thinking about roasting 15 oz of canned pumpkin until caramelized and adding for a week before I bottle

has anyone added pumpkin after fermentation? I was thinking about roasting 15 oz of canned pumpkin until caramelized and adding for a week before I bottle

If you do something like that, you're going to want to leave it for a week or so, THEN rack it again to another vessel, (either a secondary if adding pumpkin to primary or a tertiary if adding it in a secondary,) and leave THAT for a couple MORE weeks to actually clear.

You really just can't simply dump pumpkin in then declare that your beer is going to be bottle-able a week later. There's waaaaaaay too much gunk involved in working with pumpkin for it to be that easy.

other than the time it would take to clear, would the flavor I'd get out of the added pumpkin in secondary be worth the mess? i've already put in 60 oz divided between the mash and boil

Beware of allspice additions. Too much (doesn't take much or any) and it can nuke the whole batch. Bad bad beer.

Trying my hand again at Pumpkinator Clone and need some advise on extract usage. For those who don't know, this is an Imperial Stout.
I plan to use Silver Cloud Imitation Pumpkin Pie Extract for the pumpkin flavor I need and then Imitation Vanilla, Butter and Nut for the pie crust flavor.
I did use canned pumpkin in the mash and did not add anything else as of yet.

Just racked to the secondary and tastes pretty good.

Last year I used whole spices in the boil and in the secondary and used way to mush of it. It’s been about 9 months and still has to much spice. It's good, just not great.
Reason I didn't use any spices this time in the boil is because everything I read pointed away from it. (Spices flavor changes during fermentation.)

My guess is to use 1 tbs of Pumpkin and 1 tsp Vanilla Butter????

Trying my hand again at Pumpkinator Clone and need some advise on extract usage. For those who don't know, this is an Imperial Stout.
I plan to use Silver Cloud Imitation Pumpkin Pie Extract for the pumpkin flavor I need and then Imitation Vanilla, Butter and Nut for the pie crust flavor.
I did use canned pumpkin in the mash and did not add anything else as of yet.

Just racked to the secondary and tastes pretty good.

Last year I used whole spices in the boil and in the secondary and used way to mush of it. It’s been about 9 months and still has to much spice. It's good, just not great.
Reason I didn't use any spices this time in the boil is because everything I read pointed away from it. (Spices flavor changes during fermentation.)

My guess is to use 1 tbs of Pumpkin and 1 tsp Vanilla Butter????

Email Brock. He's typically good at answering questions about his recipes (as long as you don't ask about the house yeast!). He probably can give great pointers to get close to the real thing.

I did a pumpkin beer last weekend and tried a new method for the pumpkin. Instead of mashing I steeped the pumpkin. I cut and baked a large pumpkin for about 90 minutes and then steeped the pumpkin in my strike water for about 2 hours. I tasted my strike water before mash in and it was a nice orange color and had a definite pumpkin taste.

Between that and a can of libbys in my mash (and probably higher than usual efficiency) I added 13 points to my OG.

Im going to do a pumpkin stout this weekend and go all steep without any pumpkin in the mash. I want to see the difference in gravity points added.

If I use Pumpkin, I will use canned. What does it really add in addition to the pumpkin pie spices? My wife really wants me to make a pumpkin ale but the stories of long sparges, stuck sparges, etc is really having me the risk vs reward of using pumpkin.

Below is what I was thinking of doing...

7.5 2-Row
2.5 Munich
.5 Caramel Medium
.25 Caramel 90
1-16oz can of canned pumpkin
1 tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice
Hops - Cluster, will try to keep around 10-15 IBUs.

If I use canned pumpkin, do I absolutely need rice hulls? Is 1 can enough (per Lakefront in original post it seems to be)?

1 can is not nearly enough IME. I used 4 cans in my first pumpkin beer and plan to use 5 in the next.

also, not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but adding some sweet potato or butternut squash does wonders for a pumpkin beer. The variety of flavors gives it a much more pronounced squash taste and it actually seems more pumpkiny. Id suggest like subbing 2 can of pumpkin for 1 of each of those

How often do you stir the mash when making a pumpkin beer? Generally I only do 1-2 times in 90 minutes for a like blonde ale. Does the pumpkin require more stirring?

I came up with a really good method using canned pumpkin to avoid any problems with runoff or a stuck sparge. http://hollisbrewco.blogspot.com/2011/09/pumpkin-ale-brew-day.html I just dissolved the canned pumpkin pie filling in my mash water while it was heating up. the rims system was recirculating the water at the time so that ensured it all got dissolved.

Hmmm, think I might try this. Seems like it would eliminate the stuck sparge issue if the pumpkin is already dissolved.

If I use Pumpkin, I will use canned. What does it really add in addition to the pumpkin pie spices? My wife really wants me to make a pumpkin ale but the stories of long sparges, stuck sparges, etc is really having me the risk vs reward of using pumpkin.

Below is what I was thinking of doing...

7.5 2-Row
2.5 Munich
.5 Caramel Medium
.25 Caramel 90
1-16oz can of canned pumpkin
1 tsp of Pumpkin Pie Spice
Hops - Cluster, will try to keep around 10-15 IBUs.

If I use canned pumpkin, do I absolutely need rice hulls? Is 1 can enough (per Lakefront in original post it seems to be)?

I would recommend against the ready-to-go pumpkin pie spice mix if that's what you meant. They tend to contain sulfides which will lend a sulfur flavor/aroma to your beer. Try using the raw McCormick spices individually.

I would recommend against the ready-to-go pumpkin pie spice mix if that's what you meant. They tend to contain sulfides which will lend a sulfur flavor/aroma to your beer. Try using the raw McCormick spices individually.

Thanks! Yeah that was what I meant. The raw spices are cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little clove? That would work since I have all of those individually on hand.

Thanks! Yeah that was what I meant. The raw spices are cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little clove? That would work since I have all of those individually on hand.

I also really like allspice. It has a wonderful aroma/flavor that I personally most associate with that 'pumpkin pie' fall flavor. I'm with you too on a small amount of clove, maybe 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 0.5 nutmeg and/or allspice and 1/4 tsp clove (in the last 5 min of boil).

my 0.02

+1 to using butternut squash. Best pumpkin pie I've ever had was made from squash. It has better flavor and... might just be more pumpkiny :)

This is what I'm going with, let me know if any major concerns...

ALL-GRAIN METHOD:

Gonna go the pumpkin pre-mash route. Will dissolve 3 cans (3#) of pumpkin in the strike water and then mash...

7.5# 2-Row
2.5# Munich
0.3# Caramel 90
0.4# Crystal Medium
1# Rice Hulls

Adding 1 tsp cinnamon, 0.5 tsp nutmeg, 0.5 tsp all-spice, 0.25 tsp clove at flame out ---- have it premixed.

0.5 oz. Mt Hood hops for 60 minutes. (shooting for 10-12 IBUs)
Safale US-05 yeast

This is my first Pumpkin/Spiced Ale.
Bottled my pumpkin ale last night and I'm concerned with the flavor. It seems that all the spice and pumpkin flavor has disappeared and I'm left with a lightly bitter but strong amber ale.

Is it possible for all of this to settle out? Or will the flavors re-appear after it's carb'ed?

I used gelatin a day before bottling, but I've done that with other beers with no problem. It is very clear.

6# fresh baked pumpkin 60 Min. (boil)
2# fresh baked pumpkin 20 Min. (boil)
1oz Challenger Hops 60 Min. (boil)
1oz Challenger Hops 20 Min. (boil)
2.5 Tsp Cinnamon 10 Min.(boil)
0.25 Tsp Ginger 10 Min.(boil)
0.25 Tsp Nutmeg 10 Min.(boil)
50 ml of bourbon w/1.5 vanilla beans @ flame out

OG 1.053
FG 1.009 a little lower than estimated (1.012)

I wouldnt boil any spices. I would try adding a bit at flameout and either use them like a dry hop or make a tincture to add to taste in the primary

never heard of anyone using pumpkin in the boil. Ive always used it in the mash. Sorry to hear the flavors gone though, its not going to get stronger

Brewed a pumpkin beer a few days ago and decided to experiment a bit.
5 lb. German Munich
5 lb. 2-row
1 lb. Crystal 60

1 lb. Pumpkin Puree - 120 min.
.5 oz. Magnum - 90 min.
1 oz. Raw Ginger - 15 min.
1 tsp. Pumpkin Spice - Bottling (Priming Sugar)

Baked the pumpkin and sprinkled cinnamon sugar and nutmeg on it to caramelize. Thought the raw ginger would give it a unique characteristic. Smells from the fermenter are amazing. Can actually smell the spice despite the long boil, ginger and malt flavors are quite evident. Really excited for this!

A bit of wisdom from my brew club: If you can smell the spice during the boil, you're losing the flavor of the spice. Add spices at flameout to prevent loss.

Damn, wish I read this earlier.
I did smell awesome during boil and tasted like sweet pumpkin pie going into primary. Would this be true for the pumpkin as well?

I wouldnt boil any spices. I would try adding a bit at flameout and either use them like a dry hop or make a tincture to add to taste in the primary

never heard of anyone using pumpkin in the boil. Ive always used it in the mash. Sorry to hear the flavors gone though, its not going to get stronger

Ya, I see AG recipes putting it in the mash, but extract putting it in the boil. Mine was an extract, so I figured why not add some at the beginning and some later on.
Now it sounds like add everything at 5 minutes or flame out for best flavors.

Ya, I see AG recipes putting it in the mash, but extract putting it in the boil. Mine was an extract, so I figured why not add some at the beginning and some later on.
Now it sounds like add everything at 5 minutes or flame out for best flavors.

My first pumpkin beer of the season (out of two) suffered really low efficiency when I put the pumpkin in the mash. Luckily it was a partial mash so no harm done. It likely had low efficiency because of other factors, but it made me decide to skip for my latest pumpkin beer. I imagine it'll do just fine with it in the boil. No one seems to agree on whether it matters if it's mashed or boiled.

Latest posts

Back