Keezer - Basic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can start putting things in there immediately, but if you want faucet shanks and the ability to dispense without opening the lid then you will eventually need to install a collar.

I wanted something that would look good in my living room, so I decided to make a freezer look like a piece of furniture. Pain in the a$$, but looks pretty nice.

KeezerTop.jpg

I don't have the sides on it yet, but it will look like this when done:

KeezerCabinet.jpg

How heavy is the collar to lift to access the Freezer section?

I like it.. very nice.

Roughly how much additional cost? Did you have a write up on a website or something?

How heavy is the collar to lift to access the Freezer section?

I like it.. very nice.

Roughly how much additional cost? Did you have a write up on a website or something?

Heavy? Very! But then there are 7 1/2 pieces of marble tile on it :D (and it's not actually a collar - just a top attached to the lid of the freezer) I just have a wooden prop to hold it open for moving kegs around - works fine so far.

I haven't done a real write up on it, but if you check out the Keezer link in my sig, you can see a lot of progress shots and some details.

As for cost - are you sure you want to know? ;) The big cost items so far have been

1) freezer
2) faucets, shanks, etc
3) wood
4) overkill manifold.

Then I did the marble, which actually wasn't as expensive as I had thought it would be. The SS drip tray wasn't cheap either, but I really wanted to make this thing right. Casters, temp controller, misc this and that - it all adds up.

It's way more expensive than a simpler setup, but I do get to have 7 beers on tap, served from something that is nicer than the rest of the furniture in the room.

She doesn't like white freezers huh? Racist!! j/k. I guess it depends on where you plan on putting this thing but picking that particular freezer for the color is bad news. You have to measure the inside to see if you can get the kegs in there in a nice tight configuraton. The whirlpool 8.9cuft I have does 5 kegs like a glove. If that 8.8 is a weird dimension that only lets you put 3 kegs in, what a waste.

If you're putting this in your house, why not convert a Sanyo 4912 fridge?

yes, just paint it. Buy spray-can appliance epoxy and you have a primer for whatever other color you want. Just don't buy the "stainless steel" stuff, it will leave gray dust over everything and it just a PITA.

+1 on painting it. Sears wants $350 for something you can get at Fry's on sale for $200. Check Conn's too for floor models and make them an offer. I got my 10 cu. ft. Amana at Fry's for $200 and my 20 cu. ft. Frigidaire at Conn's for $399, both discounted floor models.

I would paint it too. I am not sure if it really cost more to make it black, but they always charge a bunch more for black appliances. Kind of stupid but I guess if there are enough wives out there that don't like white they can charge whatever they want for black.

Also, I don't think that would need a collar unless you want to put cornies on the hump.

Latest posts

Back