Skeeter Pee tastes funny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gporhp

Reaction score
Hey, all.

So, I put together a batch of Skeeter Pee and last night, racked, degassed and sterilized it so that it can sit to clear. (I don't plan to use a fining agent. I'll just let it sit in the carboy). I used 7 campden tablets since the recipe called for 1/2 tsp of kmeta (and I read that 3.5 tablets = 1/4 tsp) and 2.5 tsp of sorbate.

I gave it a taste without sweetening. It tasted so bad, but didn't smell too bad... Was that just the sterilants that made it taste sort of funky? I presume that will go away while it clears?

gporhp said:
Hey, all.

So, I put together a batch of Skeeter Pee and last night, racked, degassed and sterilized it so that it can sit to clear. (I don't plan to use a fining agent. I'll just let it sit in the carboy). I used 7 campden tablets since the recipe called for 1/2 tsp of kmeta (and I read that 3.5 tablets = 1/4 tsp) and 2.5 tsp of sorbate.

I gave it a taste without sweetening. It tasted so bad, but didn't smell too bad... Was that just the sterilants that made it taste sort of funky? I presume that will go away while it clears?

What is your batch size? A presume its at least 5 gallons? If that's the case? I would have used 5 tablets.

I bet if you sweeten it a bit it would be better. The stuff is on the sour side if not. I doubt the extra two tabs would make that much difference but five would be the correct dose. Mike

I've never used campden tablets but I've heard you cab taste them in it if you try it right after adding them. Again, just going off other feedback.

Thank you all for the input and information! I'll keep tablet ratio in mind from now on, and hope that the taste fades.

You're probably tasting the Camden tablets yet. My batch is now ~6 months old and is phenomenal, it started to get really good at about 3 months. I'd just sit back and relax on this one. Back-sweetening really helps give this wine some body and needed sweetness.

Back