left steeping grains in too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK... as they say the proof is in the pudding. In this case its beer. My only concern is for the poor Muslim you steeped with your grains... "into a Muslim bag ".
The beer will likely be drinkable... I have a muslin bag I'll send you for free if you want to try it again.

Since I'm not in the habit of someone calling me or my brethren the boogeyman, I got up this morning, inspected by East Coast IPA fermenting away, and grabbed the bible or Homebrew scripture if you prefer.

It's not often I have to go Papazian on someone but here is goes.

Page 31 of The Home Brewer's Companion/The Essential Handbook under the sub-heading
"Using specialty malts without Mashing"
and I quote => For the ideal extraction of the favorable qualities of any malt, the crushed grain should never be brought to a boil. Some recipes and procedures guide beginning brewers to bring the specialty malts just to a boil and quickly remove them from the heat source. This is a simple procedure designed to encourage their use by beginning brewers. For those who desire to improve the quality of their beers with a small additional investment in time and attention, the grains should NEVER be steeped in water who temperature exceeds 170 degrees F (77 degrees C). The extraction of UNDESIRABLE TANNIN and ASTRINGENT characters is minimized with a lower-temperature steep" end quote

Let's remember one thing here, professional brewing in big vessels and homebrewing are two different things.

Have fun brewing and open a beer and enjoy!

I think you completely missed my point. The point being that the bolded part of your quote, despite being written in a 10-30 year old book (depending on edition), is nice in theory but may not be the case in practice.
Even before you "went Papazian" on me (?) I was well aware of what ol' Charlie had said, as well as many other sources of the same information. Thus calling the tannin thing a "boogeyman" (yeah, I was calling the tannins boogeymen, not you and your buddies).
IMPE, I have yet to extract tannins from steeping grains. I've steeped for well over 30 mins. I've steeped well over 170. I've steeped in way "too much" (according to the myths) water. I've steeped in far "too little" water. I've steeped in tap water (quite hard and alkaline here). I've steeped with distilled or r/o water. Get the point yet? Regardless of what a book may have said, in practice, I say it's not bloody likely.
Conversely, and stop me if I said this before :D , in my all grain brews I check mash pH to ensure it's under ~6 (since a pH much higher can extract tannins). One time, I had a high pH (~6.7, 6.8, something like that), and coincidentally, that was the one batch I made that had tannins. My temps and volumes were pretty much spot on in that batch, it was a beer I've made before, and the ingredients came from the same source. The one variable that was different was the high pH.
I, too, learned a lot from Charlie P's book. But one of the things I've also learned is that a lot of the things that guys like Papazian and Palmer said back in the day have since been proven wrong in practice. Palmer continues to update (and omit things from) How to Brew, and himself has admitted that some of the information in that first issue (the online one everyone swears by) is quite dated. Thanks for "going Papazian", because that was exactly my point in my earlier post; Just because someone said it (many years ago in this case), doesn't make it the case in practice.

Brew strong and trust in your experience young grasshopper! :mug:

Since I'm not in the habit of someone calling me or my brethren the boogeyman, I got up this morning, inspected by East Coast IPA fermenting away, and grabbed the bible or Homebrew scripture if you prefer.

No one called any person the boogeyman - it was originally an admittedly bad reference toward tannins by me - the intent was to indicate to the OP that his beer might very well be fine without launching into a dissertation on the subject of tannins and astringency.

Going Papazian on someone, well, that's new to me. The Joy of Homebrewing was the first book on brewing I ever read and I respect the author completely, but I don't take what is written in that book as gospel. For instance, he writes about how to sanitize with bleach if I recall correctly, and if I'm not mistaken that has gone out of style. I'm sure there are other examples.

Frodo said:
No one called any person the boogeyman - it was originally an admittedly bad reference toward tannins by me - the intent was to indicate to the OP that his beer might very well be fine without launching into a dissertation on the subject of tannins and astringency.

My apologies grandmaster of all Homebrewers, why make reference to mashing when were talking about brewing with a kit. And to further my point, yes I have brewed many batches with various variables not at an optimum level and yes the tannins provided an overwhelming taste from what I was stepping that I didn't want. Regardless of what I'm referencing, the recommendations then still make sense now. It sounds from the looks of it, that your beyond any book or reference that's become a staple of the Homebrewer bookshelf.

Well excuse me for making a reference to anything. Grab a beer and get off your high horse, I've been drinking Dogfish Head Punk lately. Are you now going to tell me how bourgeois I am to drink beer from the store?!
About time you take a dip in a vat full of Lambic to tart you out, oh great master!!!

Frodo said:

Going Papazian on someone, well, that's new to me. The Joy of Homebrewing was the first book on brewing I ever read and I respect the author completely, but I don't take what is written in that book as gospel. For instance, he writes about how to sanitize with bleach if I recall correctly, and if I'm not mistaken that has gone out of style. I'm sure there are other examples.

Yes because Iostar and other cleaning agents didn't exist back then

Jeff - I believe you might have me confused with NordeastBrewer77, and vice versa. edit: I can't tell who you're trying to insult - it seems like much of what you said is targeted at Nordeast, not me. But I think he's completely right, so if you want to insult me too that's fine.

Cr@p, I wasn't even trying to be insulting in the least. I really think Jeff missed my point. My whole point was that a lot of the common worries in brewing aren't really things we need to be that concerned about. In this case, tannins from high temps in an extract with grains batch isn't as big of a concern as some people have said it was.
Sure, tannins are a real thing, and you gotta take measures to avoid them. But..... a pound (or so) of grains in near boiling water is not likely to produce a tannic beer by most people's taste threshold for tannins. Now, an entire mash (even if it's a "partial mash") at that high a temp, then there's a real risk of a very tannic brew. In a simple steep, things like water volume, pH, and even temps to some degree aren't nearly as important. That's not talking down to anyone, that's speaking from many, many batches of beer, the majority of them extract with grains batches.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Cr@p, I wasn't even trying to be insulting in the least. I really think Jeff missed my point. My whole point was that a lot of the common worries in brewing aren't really things we need to be that concerned about. In this case, tannins from high temps in an extract with grains batch isn't as big of a concern as some people have said it was.

I think this thread is like the twilight zone. Where despite best intentions everyone seems to misunderstand and take offense, and posters seem to be confusing what one person said with what another said... I think this is just one of those threads...

Guys, don't sweat the small stuff. Getting the steeping grains too hot just isn't a big deal. Tannins are driven far more by pH than by temp, especially for these time frames. Remember that decoction mashing is having us BOIL significant portions of our grist...overdoing it a bit on steeping grains is nothing to worry about....

I think this thread is like the twilight zone. Where despite best intentions everyone seems to misunderstand and take offense, and posters seem to be confusing what one person said with what another said... I think this is just one of those threads...

It's not just this thread, it happens a lot. You elaborate on what someone says, or heaven forbid, say something remotely in contention when answering and people are bound to take offense. It's the nature of the 'webs, you can't hear tone of voice, so explanations can sound condescending, expanding on or correcting can come off like you're putting someone down, etc. :mug:

I'll take a big mea culpa on this due to my complete brain fart and ignoring pH. I saw the original post and just had a kinda freak out and lost my head a bit.

Anyway, to amend, I don't think the OP will end up with anything terrible. Since it's a stout, he'll want to let it sit and anything he may have gotten will be negated with time. I think he's good to go.

I feel like a complete ******* from this. My bad, OP, my bad.

graphics-fighting-890508.gif
graphics-fighting-320688.gif

It's not about taking offense guys, it's telling and dictating what is right from wrong. Theory and hands on practice tell us one thing, you guys come across as "the authority", saying things like "these guys don't know what they're talking about" or it's" bad advice ". There is no bad advice. You can only make recommendations but when guys step in and preach from the mountain, your essentially telling off someone because you don't agree with what has been thought for a long time or mentioned from experience. The fact of the matter is, I have a formal brewing education from Davis, I brew a lot, I compete a lot and love everything that beer stands for. I grew up around it and its been in my family for 80+ years but do I throw that at you no I referenced Papazian because 95% of what he wrote is still applicable for any homebrewer these days. Hell on my last class at Davis they told me flat out, you should never create a starter!

These guys that have been homebrewing and professionally brewing for 30 years and the whole bleach comment that was made. As of last year, household bleach is still considered safe. In water it becomes hypochlorous acid. 1.5 tsps in 5 gallons of water will give you a 25ppm solution which you will not have to rinse. Anything stronger than this needs to be well rinsed. So there you have it. Enjoying my Oktoberfest beer and watching Football. Live long and prosper

It's not about taking offense guys, it's telling and dictating what is right from wrong. Theory and hands on practice tell us one thing, you guys come across as "the authority", saying things like "these guys don't know what they're talking about" or it's" bad advice ". There is no bad advice. You can only make recommendations but when guys step in and preach from the mountain, your essentially telling off someone because you don't agree with what has been thought for a long time or mentioned from experience. The fact of the matter is, I have a formal brewing education from Davis, I brew a lot, I compete a lot and love everything that beer stands for. I grew up around it and its been in my family for 80+ years but do I throw that at you no I referenced Papazian because 95% of what he wrote is still applicable for any homebrewer these days. Hell on my last class at Davis they told me flat out, you should never create a starter!

These guys that have been homebrewing and professionally brewing for 30 years and the whole bleach comment that was made. As of last year, household bleach is still considered safe. In water it becomes hypochlorous acid. 1.5 tsps in 5 gallons of water will give you a 25ppm solution which you will not have to rinse. Anything stronger than this needs to be well rinsed. So there you have it. Enjoying my Oktoberfest beer and watching Football. Live long and prosper

Edit: nevermind, I'm leaving this argument alone. Obviously, to you, my disagreeing is "preaching from the mountain", and I respectfully disagree with most of the things you've said in this thread, and on another. And frankly, bringing up your brewing education doesn't lend any more credit to incorrect information, nor does it give me any added reason to agree with you. I mean no offense by that. Enjoy your Ok'fest and I hope the Chargers win (unless you're a relocated cajun, then GO SAINTS). :mug:

Some intersting stuff there. How does the chlorine ppm relate to chlorophenol thresholds in the finished beer? The taste threshold for chlorophenol is 5 ppb so does not having more than 25ppm of chlorine ensure you will stay below that defect threshold? I also make wine and cork taint is a real concern so chlorine is not allowed in my work area.

I would think the starter advice is sound but you didn't give the reason. I'm sure pitch rate is still important. The average liquid yeast vial at 100% viability would give a pitch rate of about 4 million cells per ml (in a 5 gallon batch). Most recipes I've seen call for about 3 times that rate at fairly moderate gravities. So other than spending $21-28 for yeast (at $7 per vial), a starter makes pretty good sense. So I agree, given enough yeast eliminates the need for a starter.

I've been through a couple of Bamforth's books and would really like to take the Intensive course someday.

I think the advice was that if you did everything right, your 1 vial of yeast should be perfectly fine. The starter is only intended to start fermentation faster and increase the number of cells. I've been actually doing a two yeast strain combination with nice results. I'll track down what exactly they offered in class.

I can't resist. I've been drinking a bit so sue me. I think it is just awesome that you berate us for being authoritative then you spout your UC Davis brewing education. That, my friend, is awesome!

edit: also, I had previously considered that if I had a serious career inclination to switch to brewing professionally I should go to UC Davis for a Brewmaster's Certificate. Now I'm thinking that would be a waste of time. Thanks for potentially saving me $10,000, more?

Now I'm off to read Jeff's lecture on Airlock Bubbles. I figure not only am I saving money on formal education by listening to this guy, I'm probably learning a lot more about the craft to boot. It's like training directly at the circus instead of wasting all that time in clown college.

End of primary fermentation is indicated when there's one bubble per 2:30 to 3:00 minutes, I thought everyone knew that.

Well, yeah.... don't they teach that at UC Davis? Isn't it part of that second to last class? The class right before the last one where they teach you how wrong it is to make a starter?

Really, I can't believe this dude thinks anyone would believe such a ridiculous claim. Davis..... I should start telling everyone my degree's from Berklee College of Music, sounds so much better than the city college that I went to. :drunk:

I really, seriously, did think before going "pro" that it'd be helpful if not necessary to go to Davis. Now not so much if that's what's being taught, particularly the stuff being stated by you, Jeff. I thought I'd learn the logistics of going from a 5 gallon idealogy to a 100,000 barrel system, not how best to piss off homebrewers.

Frodo said:
I can't resist. I've been drinking a bit so sue me. I think it is just awesome that you berate us for being authoritative then you spout your UC Davis brewing education. That, my friend, is awesome!

edit: also, I had previously considered that if I had a serious career inclination to switch to brewing professionally I should go to UC Davis for a Brewmaster's Certificate. Now I'm thinking that would be a waste of time. Thanks for potentially saving me $10,000, more?

You are more then welcome, I only mentioned the Davis connection because the assumption was that I was homebrewer that couldn't tell his ass from a hole in the ground. I can't by the way!

Going to start an IBD certificate course next month to see if the Brits do it any differently.

Drink away!

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I too, found that incredibly funny. I figured he'd gotten the idea by my posting on this thread and here on Revvy's bottling thread that I smelled bull turd as soon as UC Davis was brought into the conversation. Frankly, I think it speaks volumes about one's character when, in lacking anything concrete in an argument, they resort to touting quality education or formal training.
Now I'm off to read Jeff's lecture on Airlock Bubbles. I figure not only am I saving money on formal education by listening to this guy, I'm probably learning a lot more about the craft to boot. It's like training directly at the circus instead of wasting all that time in clown college.
Cheers everyone, I'm going to finish my pint of Surly Hell while I reply to this same guy spouting even sillier things on a HBT sticky written by a brewer whom I have a lot of respect for. I get to sleep in tomorrow on my day off, then enjoy an evening out with some fellow home brewers. It's Fresh Hops Week at a local brewpub; Surly Wet, Lucid Wamo (wet hopped Camo IIPA), their own all Simcoe, wet hopped ale and many others. :mug:

I could make money from this. The rentings of Jeff the all knowing. Thanks guys. Dropping off samples for a BJCP blind review of Oktoberfest beers right now.

Cheers respected brewer and his sidekick

Back