Raw Cider Vs. Store Bought Vs. Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojorader

Reaction score
My local cider mill is selling cider at $10/gal because of the bad harvest here in Michigan. The lady said I could stop in on the weekend and request some raw cider because they normally sell it with preservatives. I also found cider at walmart for $4.50/gal w/o preserves (and pasteurized) but its kinda looks pale as if its watered down.

My question is A) Is there any advantage/disadvantage using raw cider vs pasturized and B) is it worth spending $60 on 6 gal of fresh cider when I could either get some at walmart for less than half that or just do what I've done in the past and buy some juice for even cheaper?

I don't really mind spending the extra money but I want it to be worth it if I do. Thanks for all the help!!

My local cider mill is selling cider at $10/gal because of the bad harvest here in Michigan. The lady said I could stop in on the weekend and request some raw cider because they normally sell it with preservatives. I also found cider at walmart for $4.50/gal w/o preserves (and pasteurized) but its kinda looks pale as if its watered down.

My question is A) Is there any advantage/disadvantage using raw cider vs pasturized and B) is it worth spending $60 on 6 gal of fresh cider when I could either get some at walmart for less than half that or just do what I've done in the past and buy some juice for even cheaper?

I don't really mind spending the extra money but I want it to be worth it if I do. Thanks for all the help!!

Well, I've used both the cheap-o Walmart cider and the good stuff. Either will make hard cider.

But the taste of the "good stuff" is extraordinarily good! Just like when you drink it unfermented, the flavor of a good fresh cider is wonderful.

And Walmart is never a good idea. :)

I bought some damn good local cider down here in Tennessee for $6.50 a gallon. $10 a gallon is rough, but if you are going through the trouble of making 6 gallons of hard cider, why not go all out and use the good stuff? Especially if that helps out struggling local farmers.

Good point. I guess I'll just have to shell out the extra for the best. Any tips to get the best flavor out of a raw cider or is it pretty much the same procedure as using juice (other than not being pasteurized)?

Latest posts

Back