Used liquor barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it doesn't need to be stored with liquor, 1 tbs sulfite & 1 tbs citric acid or acid blend in 5gallons water works for up to 3 months.

Does the mixture of "1 tbs sulfite & 1 tbs citric acid or acid blend in 5gallons water works for up to 3 months" take away from the potential to age further beers and get that whiskey and oak flavor?

Does the mixture of "1 tbs sulfite & 1 tbs citric acid or acid blend in 5gallons water works for up to 3 months" take away from the potential to age further beers and get that whiskey and oak flavor?

unfortunately, it will strip away some of the flavors, but I'm not sure to the extent. I do believe you can just partially fill the barrel with liquor and rotate it on a regular basis in between and maintain a barrel for a few weeks.

I'd suggest anyone considering getting a barrel to read thru this (its for wine, but most of it applies): http://yeastwhisperer.com/uploads/YeastWhisp_Oak_Barrel_info.pdf

when you do it be sure you all everything all together somewhere with good ventilation. I cleaned mine in my kitchen without the window open.... Oh boy the fumes were bad. I used potassium metabisulfite and citric acid. by the way it smelled im sure hope it killed anything that could of been in there.

i plan on only storing a 1-2 liters of liquor in the barrell when not using it and rotating it every few days. When i pour beer into it, i will pour the liquor back into its bottle.

This is what I did with mine. As crazy as it sounds, I actually put mine in a couple of garbage bags to see if it would slow down the rate of evaporation and keep the barrel "wet" longer. I think it worked.

Tasted the Sorghum Whiskey today when I picked up the Barrels, I think those of you who are getting them will be VERY happy with the flavor. Very nice Bourbon/Whiskey flavor with a little sweetness, very nice!

Thant being said, I also picked up 2 more Rum barrels while I was there so if anyone wants one let me know.

Cheers!

How much do 5-gal barrels typically weigh?

I'm in Canada and for some reason I doubt you want to ship here, though if I REALLY need to, I can have it shipped to a US address and work it out from there, although that would probably add a fair bit to the overall cost, depending on how much it costs to ship to CT

Are you going to have a somewhat steady supply of these from now on? I really want one but can't afford one at the moment and will have to wait to buy one. Thanks

"Network disruption due to prior weather conditions, check ups.com for further updates. "

UPS is such a pain in the ass. Should have been here on the 26th, but I have to wait until the 31st to get any updates. We've had no real severe weather in Colorado to cause this delay. Of course they have no update.

"Network disruption due to prior weather conditions, check ups.com for further updates. "

UPS is such a pain in the ass. Should have been here on the 26th, but I have to wait until the 31st to get any updates. We've had no real severe weather in Colorado to cause this delay. Of course they have no update.

Sorry to hear that, I wonder what the issue is?

My sorghum whiskey barrel is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I have 2 separate beers ready to go. The first one is an American Strong Ale and the 2nd is a Russian Imperial Stout. I should be able to put the first beer directly into the barrel, right? I'd rather not have to clean/soak it and lose that good flavor if I don't have to. Do I need to do much other than a quick rinse b/w the beers? Seems like I should probably taste the first beer after 10 days and see where it's at as far as oak/bourbon flavor? I was reading about the use of sulphur sticks for storage of barrels. Anyone tried this? I guess the alternative is to put whiskey in the barrel and rotate it around every few days?

Just put the beer in the barrel, if you feel the need you could "rinse" the barrel with whiskey just to be safe but I think you'll be fine. Maybe just a rinse with hot (boiling) water between beers, should be fine.

I got one of the rum barrels a few weeks ago. I put a brown ale in it right away couldn't resist the smell. It was in for 7 days and picked up a huge amount of flavor and aroma. I have a Milk Stout in it now just to see what will happen to the stout. I did not rinse either time. 7 days was a bit too long for the brown ale. I would check after 4-5 days to see if you like what's pick up. The Milk stout has been in for a couple of weeks but I don't have a keg ready to move it into. I do have another 5 gallons of brown ale scheduled to go into the barrel in a month or so.

Cheers

Thanks for the tips. What do you plan to do with your keg for the month in between beers? I've read the sulphur stick method is good as it won't strip the keg of the oak flavor??

I've read the sulphur stick method is good as it won't strip the keg of the oak flavor??

this is true, but it needs to be maintained (once every 6 weeks) and comes with its own risks (sulphrous acid if wet, bad fumes). it's possible it may need to be re-swelled after as well.

with a hammer tap the sides of the bung, one side is beveled than the other and it will come a little loose, then pull it out by hand...
opening it up and smelling the inside of the barrel was amazing!:ban:

igotsand

Thanks a lot. This did the trick. Never thought I'd have such problems with my bung hole! Yes, the smell inside the barrel was amazing. It's gonna be hard to wait to drink this beer!

Thanks a lot. This did the trick. Never thought I'd have such problems with my bung hole! Yes, the smell inside the barrel was amazing. It's gonna be hard to wait to drink this beer!

Your so dirty, LOL!

I sent you an email last night, I'm glad someone on here helped you with your bung hole!

FYI, there will be a new batch of barrels in July; I will take prepayment starting July 1st. I was told there would be 20 so get your beers a brewin' and let me know if you want one of these.

I also discussed the possibility of an all barrel comp in the fall with the owner of Old Sugar. He was in, so we will try to work on that and will let you guys know when it is. We are inviting those of you who have purchased Old Sugar barrels, sorry other guys.

Cheers,

John

I'm more interested in using this for wild beers with very little character imparted from the actual barrel itself, but I guess making some rum/oak beers until those flavors fade won't kill me :)

Though... this may sound like sacrilege to some, but is there a way to hasten the removal of rum and oak character so I don't have to wait so long?

Back