Oaking AHS Yeti Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goggledone

Reaction score
I've found a good bit of information on oaking stouts in the forum so far, but would like to ask a few questions:

I'm looking to get close to Oak Aged Yeti or Espresso Oak Aged Yeti if I can.

1. I have both French and American oak chips. How much of each for a 5 gallon batch? If I don't get close to GD's formula I'd like the oak to be more on the subtle side.

2. Would it be advisable to soak the oak chips in my absolute favorite bourbon (Knob Creek)? I think so, but would like advice. If so, pour the bourbon in with the chips or leave it out? (Don't want bourbon to be super strong.)

3. If I were to add espresso, what's the best way? Cold brewed at bottling? Coarse grinds in secondary?

Thank you for your infinite wisdom. That is all.

I would use 1oz French lite toast oak chips if you don't want the oak taste too heavy. I would also soak the chips in the burbon and pour off what doesn't get soaked I'm before adding into secondary. Again this will add the flavor and some aroma without making the burbon taste too strong. As far as the coffee goes, your going to get 50 different opinions on this as it's as easy as asking someone favorite actor and expecting one response from all... Personally I would cold brew the coffee over night and add it into the secondary. This gets the best flavor extraction out of the coffee without the riam of the charred taste to it. Just my two cents, good luck, sounds like a fun clone.

Thank you, sir. I lived in Ann Arbor for about 6 months growing up. Very Cool town. Probably the best college town in the states! Don't miss the winter though.

How long do you suggest keeping the chips in the secondary for? A week sufficient?

Slightly overcarbonated, but that had nothing to do with the oaking.

I ended up soaking 1.5 oz of American and french chips in Knob Creek for three weeks during primary fermentation. I think if I did it over again I'd just steam the chips or soak them for less time since the bourbon is a little stronger than I'd have liked it to turn out in the end product.

I ended up skipping the espresso since I didn't feel like buying a cold press. Kinda of regret it, though!

That being said I also had little intention of doing a bourbon oaked stout. I'd do it again!

I threw 3 shots of espresso into the boil last 5 min and i just racked to 2ndary on top of the bourbon oak and wow its tastes SOOO good, you can definitely taste the espresso. You could actually call it an espresso stout as of right now. I hope my oak does give a bourbon taste, i added 2 shots of the oaky bourbon to the 2ndary as well. Smells amazing, as excited about this one as i was my 1st brew!

Slightly overcarbonated, but that had nothing to do with the oaking.

I ended up soaking 1.5 oz of American and french chips in Knob Creek for three weeks during primary fermentation. I think if I did it over again I'd just steam the chips or soak them for less time since the bourbon is a little stronger than I'd have liked it to turn out in the end product.

I ended up skipping the espresso since I didn't feel like buying a cold press. Kinda of regret it, though!

That being said I also had little intention of doing a bourbon oaked stout. I'd do it again!

Did you pour the excess bourbon out before throwing the chips into the fermenter as Stoutatthedevil suggested? This makes a huge difference.

Also, did you end up using chips or cubes? I know that you didn't mention cubes, but I think if you're going to age an Imperial Stout, you probably should use cubes instead of chips. You would be able to age for months at a time with cubes instead of days or weeks with chips. Cubes also supposedly release a more complex flavor.

Poured out the excess bourbon. If I hadn't that would have been waaay overpowering. Used chips, too. It's been getting a whole lot better over the months. I wouldn't not recommend it. I was just saying my preference would have been a little less bourbon-y and maybe have some espresso.

All I meant to say is I would refine it to my tastes more when I do it again. I'm still really enjoying them though!

It was an extract kit from AHS. It had specialty grains, a pound or so of DME and some LME as well. Really good kit, but I don't know the exact ingredients. That's part of why i'm currently stocking up equipment to move to all-grain!

Also, the kit was just a Yeti clone. I made it my own (with the oak) through research on here.

Mine was all grain from AHS and its AMAZING! just bottled it, used chips, bourbon (and poured about 4 shots worth in) espresso and vanilla bean or u can use real extract. I wax dipped and used o2 crowns. got sweet label on front and description label on back. will be 4 wks on valentines day. I have 45, and am willing to trade some homebrew and ship one out, they are SO good, im thinking of sending to a competition, never done that before, but never was so amazed by one of mine before this one.

3/4 lb black malt, 10 oz roasted barley, 14.5 lbs 2 row, 1 lb crystal 120L, 3/4 lb chocolate malt. 1 oz chinook 60 min, 1 oz chinook 30 min .5 oz centennial 15 min, .5 oz centennial 5 min (at 5 min i added 3 shots starbucks espresso. put 2 oz american oak chips in bourbon to cover chips, 1 oz real vanilla extract, wlp001, also added the booster and yeast fuel pill and hit the 1.090 i was supposed to hit without the booster. Dumped the bourbon/vanilla, oak chips mixture in secondary for 10 days 1.090 SG 1.018 FG

Beau815 said:
3/4 lb black malt, 10 oz roasted barley, 14.5 lbs 2 row, 1 lb crystal 120L, 3/4 lb chocolate malt. 1 oz chinook 60 min, 1 oz chinook 30 min .5 oz centennial 15 min, .5 oz centennial 5 min (at 5 min i added 3 shots starbucks espresso. put 2 oz american oak chips in bourbon to cover chips, 1 oz real vanilla extract, wlp001, also added the booster and yeast fuel pill and hit the 1.090 i was supposed to hit without the booster. Dumped the bourbon/vanilla, oak chips mixture in secondary for 10 days 1.090 SG 1.018 FG

What did you mash at?

Back