Mead for unborn child's wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrantlyJ

Reaction score
Hopefully no one thinks this is weird, but my Wife is currently pregnant and I was thinking about making a mead that could be served at my child's future wedding.
The idea is to make it the day of or as close to it as possible the day he/she is born. Then it can be served as a toast on the wedding day. I would also make another batch the day of the marriage and give the bottles as a gift on the first anniversary. One to open each year with the hope that the mead, like their marriage, will hopefully be better each year.

I actually got the idea online and it gave a recipe. I wish I had saved the link because now I can't find it.

Anyone willing to help me with a recipe? I've made beer. So I have some brewing knowledge and equipment. I would need to get some additional carboys as I would make a total of ten gallons.
I would need something that will turn out well but be pretty foolproof as I really don't have time to make a practice batch.

Any help is appreciated.

sounds like a great opportunity for making a whisk(e)y, too bad its illegal...

I would be somewhat worried about something potentially that old going bad

Hopefully no one thinks this is weird, but my Wife is currently pregnant and I was thinking about making a mead that could be served at my child's future wedding.
The idea is to make it the day of or as close to it as possible the day he/she is born. Then it can be served as a toast on the wedding day. I would also make another batch the day of the marriage and give the bottles as a gift on the first anniversary. One to open each year with the hope that the mead, like their marriage, will hopefully be better each year.

I actually got the idea online and it gave a recipe. I wish I had saved the link because now I can't find it.

Anyone willing to help me with a recipe? I've made beer. So I have some brewing knowledge and equipment. I would need to get some additional carboys as I would make a total of ten gallons.
I would need something that will turn out well but be pretty foolproof as I really don't have time to make a practice batch.

Any help is appreciated.

You are going to want to drink it yourself when he/she hits 15. Make 3.

I'm NOT going to rain on your parade. Nothing weird about this plan. I would probably go with a very simple recipe, honey, water, yeast. I wouldn't do anything too experimental with this batch. Maybe shoot for something with a hint of sweetness, because you never know if the people drinking it 20 years from now will be into dry or sweet wines. I think a very slightly sweet mead would go over well with a wide variety of drinkers.

I would definitely get a batch of good corks, they do differ in terms of quality, and consider taking extra steps to prevent oxidation due to aging. You could try to find some bottles that will take a cork and a crown cap. That way you can cap and cork them. Heck, dip them in a little wax to provide further protection and a touch of class!

Good luck on this. It's a great idea!

BTW, I hope this makes sense, I've had a couple delicious, but potent brews from my local brewpub! :drunk:

I think this is a cool idea. I'd say most importantly to go with the best synthetic corks you can find so you'll have the best seal possible. Maybe wax it too, wax protects & looks cool too.

I would think you MIGHT want to go with a high ABV recipe since it'll have such a long time to age. Maybe something off-dry. So do you make a straight show mead or a melomel? Why not a batch of each?

For a show mead I'd go with a really tasty & high quality varietal. Orange blossom is always a crowd pleaser, or maybe a berry blossom honey. Mesquite is very distinctive, so is tupelo, both of those would likely hold their own through the years. My Favourite is acacia honey, it's delicate & VERY floral, but I'm not sure how those flavours/aromas would hold up after 18 or 20 years of aging.

For a melomel, I think I'd split a batch into two 3 gallon carbouys. One with peach & the other with blackberry. For the melomel honey I'd either go with the same varietal as the fruit, or go with something more generic like clover or alfalfa honey.

No matter what you decide to make, you'll want to make enough so you can sample it every couple of years to see how it's progressing. Maybe bottle some in 12oz beer bottles & use those for samplers. Just take your time, use the very best ingredients, pay attention to detail & get it right the 1st time. Good luck & congrats on the future brewer. Regards, GF.

I had thought about it being or going bad. Someone suggested to do in beer bottles so I can taste it along the way. Sounds like a good idea.
I take it mead dosn't age like wine does? Maybe I should look into making wine instead?

As for the never marry or wait forever, it's a risk, but I think it would be worth it. :)

This link has tons of mead info and recipes: http://davespicks.com/writing/mme/contents.html

If I were you I'd be worried it would go bad or just be bad. Not to mention some people never marry or wait until 30+ years old to get married.

Sorry to rain on your parade :)

Great Idea! I second the corking and capping idea. You want to have as much protection as possible. I am planning on making a strong beer for my soon-to-be born daughter's 21st birthday, but remember that a marriage in this day and age could come much later than 21, so you have to be prepared for a long aging time.

I don't know if cross-forum references are discouraged, but this is a very similar thread on a different forum: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15446

IMO, that forum has better and more complete information on meadmaking than this one does.

Also, based on what I've learned about meads, Polish people make some crazy meads that can age very well. A Półtorak is made with two parts honey, one part water (and step feeding is used to avoid shocking the yeast), and I have heard of those aging for 25+ years. I would also recommend doing research on corks and wax. I have heard that synthetic corks don't last as long as the highest grade natural corks, but gratus fermentatio may have a better source saying that synthetic corks are better.

Just my $.02, go with a show mead (that is, water, honey, yeast, nutrient) as melomels age well, but will not last as long as a show mead (I mean, what if you're child doesn't get married until 35?). Personally, I'm not sure if synthetic or cork are better, but I would certainly bulk age it for several years before bottling (less surface area, more consistent temperature). Shoot for a high alcohol, it will be aging for a minimum of 21 years, so the high alcohol will be useful.

I made 4 x 5gallon batches for my son who was born last year. They are 21 year meads meant to be drunk on the first day he is legal. They were all 18% meads to give them time to smooth out. I did a blueberry melomel, a cinnamon cyser, carmel apple mead using summer solstice's recipe adjusted to bring up the ABV and a blueberry blossom show mead. I plan on setting aside 2 bottles of each for 2031! Good luck on your endeavor:)

I had thought about it being or going bad. Someone suggested to do in beer bottles so I can taste it along the way. Sounds like a good idea.

Beer bottles aren't designed for aging. The cap is all wrong.

I second using synthetic corks. Real corks can add a taste to the mead after awhile, so that is a real risk with your batch.

Charlie Papazian wrote a report in Zymurgy Magazine about a recent experience with some meads made in the 40's. He was very impressed with the tatse of them all. As I remember they were straight meads with the exceptioon of a Cyser.

I think this is a great idea. It would be a great experience even if it was used to celebrate special achievements, such as graduation from college, first big job, moving out on their own, etc.

This is a great idea. I have plans to make meads for both the wedding day (as table favors in 187mL bottles) and as my bride present. One would obviously be meant to be drank much sooner than the other. I don't think that you'll have any problem with the aging, I've drank several 20 year meads and they are fantastic. As honey doesn't ever spoil, and you have the antiseptic qualities of the alcohol in there, IMHO you don't have anything to worry about. You could put that mead down for a hundred years and it would probably be just fine. Love your enthusiasm!

A traditional mead can be aged for very long periods, and even if the ABV is not extreme, they tend to be less prone to deterioration from everything I have read (and seen to date). I haven't aged anything long enough to be called "long-aging" yet, as my oldest stuff is about 3 1/2 years old.

However, I have oxidized quite a few things; some intentionally, and some not. If you want long aging I don't think synthetic corks are the answer. They allow the highest oxygen transmission rate of any of the closures in the various wine trials that have been conducted so far (like the AWRI trial). If you age something for several years with a synthetic cork, it will probably wind up smelling like sherry. That may not be bad, and the nutty/sherry smell that a mead develops with oxidation can sometimes be quite nice. But if you don't want it developing an oxidized aroma, I'd pick another closure whether screw tops, crown caps, or my preference, the best quality cork I can get my hands on (with a wax seal).

If you wax seal a synthetic, that would also reduce the oxygen transfer.

I guess-after everything else was done- if you were worried about it enough you could also vacuum-seal each bottle in a plastic bag with a "food-saver" system.

Back