Mess up already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer4U

Reaction score
Brewing my second batch tonight. As I was steeping the specialty grains, I stirred it in order to not scorch the grains. Will this extract tannins? Advice please! Thanks!

Brewing my second batch tonight. As I was steeping the specialty grains, I stirred it in order to not scorch the grains. Will this extract tannins? Advice please! Thanks!

I'm not sure what you're asking. Stirring the grains is a good thing- it gets them fully wetted so you can get the flavor and color out of them.

Yeah sorry, let me clarify. I added the specialty grains and brought the temperature to 170. Along the way I stirred the wort and may have stirred the bag of grain a little. I read somewhere along the way that pressing the grains may extract tannins that make it unpleasantly bitter. Just makin sure I'm doin ok.

Agreed, stirring is a good thing. The only way you would start getting tannins would be if you extracted too hot or too long.

*Edit
I didn't see your temp was that high. You should be extracting the specialty grains between ~120-150F. If you start getting above 150 turn off the heat.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was just going by the directions included in the extract kit and it said to remove them when it reaches 170. I'll take that into consideration during my next batch!

All the extract kits I used to do said put the grains in as the water is heating up. When the temp reaches 160 steep for 20 min while keeping the temp at 160. Drip drain bag thoroughly (dont squeeze), raise temp and add extract and hops at boil. You'll be fine. Stirring is good.

about the 170. You shouldn't always trust those "kit instructions." They are sometimes not very reliable. That said, you are probably fine, as long as they are actually specialty grains and not base malt. Seeing as it is a kit, I am guessing there are no base malts in there. You should be ok. If you did have base malts you would want to steep at about 155 and then rinse with water at 170.

I've squeezed some "specialty grains" on extract batches and tried drip draining others. They all tasted great. Wouldn't worry about it either way--it'll be great!

Back