Wisdom Teeth....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
So a while back my wisdom teeth popped up, no big deal... in fact they haven't hurt me since I noticed they were back there...

Anyway, this past week i've been battling a head cold and congestion and the worst part of it is my jaw is really sore... in fact the other night my jaw hurt so bad I ended up popping some Excedrin and going to bed early... or tried to at least.

My daughter is also teething and she has been keeping us up these last few nights, well last night I decided to surrender my side of the bed to her and slept on the couch...

here i am, i feel like I have to puke, i'm achy, tired and i barely made it into work b/c other people's headlights were making my headache 10000x's worse.... i'm not sure if my jaw hurts b/c of my wisdom teeth or if i'm sick...

anyone else have their wisdom teeth recently removed, or at least remember the pain?

why did i come in today?

Give your oral surgeon a call- sounds like you might have dry socket. Maybe not, but increased pain is a sign of it. Usually after two or three days, you feel much less pain. If the pain is increased, I think a call to the Dr. is in order. It could be nothing, but it might be something that needs some attention.

The pain could be from your sinuses inflaming and pushing on the teeth. I never had my wisdom teeth removed, but when my sinuses start backing up I get the same pain you mentioned. Take some discongestants and it'll probably go away. We're coming into Spring allergies so I'm sure I'll get the jaw pain at some point. Yay!

oh... when the fxxx did it become Thursday? ask me what day it is and I could have sworn it was Wednesday....

that's it, i'm leaving at noon, i'm delirious!

and my wife told me it was my sinuses as well... could be since i'm blowing my nose every 3 seconds....

well, i'll be calling the doctor and scheduling an appt., thanks all.

BraeHaus said:
oh... when the fxxx did it become Thursday? ask me what day it is and I could have sworn it was Wednesday....

that's it, i'm leaving at noon, i'm delirious!

and my wife told me it was my sinuses as well... could be since i'm blowing my nose every 3 seconds....

well, i'll be calling the doctor and scheduling an appt., thanks all.

Before spending money on the doctor, start taking Mucinex or Mucinex D. Once you start decongesting, the pressure and pain should subside. That's if it is your sinuses. Good luck...

Also, it could be unrelated to your widsom teeth. You may have an infection in a decayed tooth that would require a root canal. These types of symptoms commonly occur in these situations, i.e., when one has a cold... because the immune system has normally been able to keep down the infection in the tooth, but now it's busy fighting the cold virus.

Just a thought... I'm no doctor.

EdWort said:
I had all 4 of mine taken out when I was 16. Went to school the next day.

Had all of mine taken out when I was eighteen. Got home, went to the basement, and started noodling out "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)" on the bass...

My wife's are in now and they're not bothering her, but our dental coverage is 0% on oral surgery. Yay! Its about $2,000 for extraction, so it looks like she'll be keeping those bad boys for a while!!

we have no dental either :(

i think it may be my sinuses... i took a tylenol cold pill and i'm clearing up a bit and my jaw doesn't hurt...

I still have my wisdom teeth and sometimes they will float around back there and make my jaw hurt also sometimes I get food caught under the skin back there and cant get it out with my brush and that is awful for about a week. I too cant afford to get them yanked my dental coverage only allows me to spend 1,000$ in a callender year and I just had a root canal and 4 fillings so I just gotta wait. I take tylonol Arthritis blend it kills pretty much any pain anywhere in your body.

You might have an infection. This happened to me with my Wisdom teeth when I was in school (on finals week no less). You may be able to find a dentist that will pull them the 'old fashioned' way for a LOT less than an Oral Surgeon. Call around, but whatever you do, don't pass it off. If it is infected it can get bad and very painful.

It was not fun, He used a mini prybar (no foolin) and some Novicaine. But recovery was fast and it didn't really hurt that much. Bled for a bit though.

You said they just popped up a few years ago? As in the just broke through the gums? How old are you?

It cold be an impacted wisdom tooth...and the sinus pressure is putting more pressure on the root, thus putting more pressure on the nerves.

zoebisch01 said:
You might have an infection. This happened to me with my Wisdom teeth when I was in school (on finals week no less). You may be able to find a dentist that will pull them the 'old fashioned' way for a LOT less than an Oral Surgeon.

There is not a shot in hell I'd have my wisdom teeth pulled the "old-fashioned" way without full anesthesia, an anesthesiologist, and a sterile surgical suite.

Since the pain is coinciding with a bad head cold, I'd say it's inflamed sinuses. When sinuses act up, it can make every tooth in your head ache severely. I think most wisdom tooth difficulty springs from impacted wisdom teeth pushing up against other teeth. Give a decongestant a try before making an appointment with an oral surgeon. I hope you feel better soon!

Guess I'm lucky on this, I don't even have any buds for them (that evolution thing). On the other hand, my teeth are so brittle, I have five crowns and one bonding to repair cracks/fractures/splits.

Back