First carboy bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbnbrew

Reaction score
Been brewing for about a year and have avoided anything like this thus far. Irish stout was pretty vigorously fermenting and had to put a blow off tube but apparently while the wife and I were at the movies it clogged leaving a 5 foot splatter on the ceiling and a 15 foot diameter mess. Left the plug and blow off out and put sterilized foil on top for the night. Anyone have any better suggestions?

1.055 just above the goal of 1.05 but I added water so that might account for it not being exact

Ohhh DAMN!! The visual..... Not good!

What are you using as a blow off tube? I use a 3 pc airlock with the inside bubbler left off and a 1/2" hose attached to it into a bucket of water.

How was the clean up and the scolding you got from SWMBO? I had a buddy have this happen in his SWMBO closet... He didn't get to brew for a year!

Cheers
Jay

I have a 3/8 hose into the rubber plug that's drilled out a bit I even filtered this brew through a pretty fine screen but apparently missed some because there were large chunks built up that clogged the hole not to mention what was left all over the room. Luckily she wasn't too mad she even helped clean it up

If it's not a full sized blowoff, it really shouldn't be considered a blowoff IMO. Even then things can get pretty messy for a big ferment.

Anyway OP sorry for your mess. I shoved an airlock into a carboy with secondary blackberry and found out that was a mistake.

How impressed was the wife?

shocked-o.gif

Yea it was a last minute rigged up deal I found it bubbling out the airlock and just put some stuff together because I didn't want an explosion.... Sorry for no pictures it was after midnight and I just wanted to go to bed haha

When that happened to me, it happened inside my fermentation chamber so the mess was contained. I simply sprayed StarSan on the bung and around the neck of the carboy, plugged it back up and let it finish out. The beer was great!

Just cleaned up and sanitized the bung and airlock and around the carboy top. Chugging away again. Now both my brews from the weekend are slowly chugging along

Go big or go home. 1" ID thick vinyl tubing is a press fit inside 5 and 6.5 gallon glass carboy necks, and you'll never worry about it plugging from chunky krausen. This was taken before things got rockin', but even held dead nuts at 65°F the stout in this shot is currently thumping along like it's really angry and there's plenty of foam in its line (meanwhile the wheat on the left is calmly doing it's thing - but at half the gravity of the stout that's no surprise).

I use this setup religiously because years ago I had to clean up an explosive fermentation and I never want to have to do that again...

Cheers!

ab_nov_09_2013_13_sm.jpg

That's a good idea that's about how mine was just 1/2" hose into the pitcher but that looks much more effective thanks

Back