Hops - Dog Poison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Soft Underbelly

Reaction score
I've read that dogs should be kept away from hops, that they can be poisonous.

Has anyone had any first hand experience with that. My dogs are fairly large - one 50lbs and the other 90 lbs and I'm guessing that the taste alone might turn them off eating too much of them at least to the extent they would be seriously ill.

You'll also see warnings about garlic being poisonous to dogs, but I've given my dog a half a clove everyday all her life to keep mosquitoes and fleas at bay. She's never had a problem with it. She has been on an all raw diet all her life though, so she might not have any of the digestive problems other dogs might get.

I think that one dog has a problem with a food and suddenly all dogs are supposed to never touch the stuff again.

It's interesting that in the recipe sheets for the BB kits, they have this warning at the bottom in big bold letters.

WARNING: Hops can cause malignant hyperthermia in canines, usually with fatal results. Even small amounts can
trigger a potentially deadly reaction, including “spent” hops from the brewing process. Immediate action should be taken if hops are consumed by a dog.

Back