Help with mashout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Making a British bitter. Beers itch s us single infusion no mash out.

What's the benefit of no mash out to mash out?

I think it is all personal preference. I never do a mash out and am not even sure the benefit of doing one. I have heard some people talk about it "setting" your enzyme conversion level but I don't think that makes sense. After a 60 minute mash pretty much everything that can be converted will be converted based on your mash temp.

You know how cooler mash temps lead to thinner wort? Well if your first runnings sit for a while during a long fly sparge, they will cool down and thin out unless you stop the enzymes with a mash out. It is less important for batch sparging.

Mash out does two things, one it stops conversion and "sets" your wort profile. Say you mash at 158F, your wort will have longer sugar chains and be a little less fermentable leading to a beer that has more body. When you raise the mash temp during a mash out it will stop the conversion process and keep these longer chains.

Mash out also liquifies the wort to make it easier to drain off giving you a better efficiency.

I have done both and like to mash out, it does get me 8-10 more on the efficiency side but more important seems to give me more predictable gravities. I hit my expected gravity reading right on with beers in the 1.050-1.080 range every time when I mash out.

Latest posts

Back