Sulfur hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkavitch

Reaction score
Just bottled a ag bavarian hefe today. Wyeast 3068 Fermented at 62 for 14 days with a chest freezer and johnson controller. Did not realize until after i had bottled and i was sampling my hydrometer sample that it had a horrible sulfur odor. It tastes good, it just stinks. In retrospect i would have brought the temp into the 70s after 10 days and hopefully clean it up. May consider using the white labs as well next time.

I have read that sulfur odors dont go away in the bottle, is that true? What has been your experience with this?

I fermented mine with that yeast and had the same sulfer stench. Its normal with that yeast. What I did was left it in the primary until that stench went away (3-4 weeks) then bottled. Taste fine. I want to know how your brews turn out being bottled early. Never know the yeast may clean it back up in the bottle

I had the sulfur smell in a porter that I brewed. I let it sit in bottles for a couple months and it went away. I used Burton Ale yeast from White Labs. I know it's not the same yeast strain, but the smell went away while in the bottles. Hope that helps..

The dilema with a hefe os that you drink it young. 3 months and it will be past its time i think?

It stinks while fermenting. I don't usually have that smell very prominent at bottling time but just bottle it, it will be gone by the time it's done - at least it always has been for me. I agree that hefe's shouldn't be kept too long as they are best drank young. I've had hefe's I've let sit for a long time in bottles and they clearly suffered as a result.

Rev.

Do you think possibly then it wasnt finished. I checked a sg on monday and tuesday (day 10) and then let it sit till friday to clean up. Started at 1.053 ended at 1.013-14. Fermented throughout at 62 with a cheast freezer and johnson controller.

Do you think possibly then it wasnt finished. I checked a sg on monday and tuesday (day 10) and then let it sit till friday to clean up. Started at 1.053 ended at 1.013-14. Fermented throughout at 62 with a cheast freezer and johnson controller.

Sounds right to me. I let my hefe's sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks then bottle. At 2 weeks I've always hit my FG.

Rev.

I've just bottled a batch of Hefe and during the first week the sulphur smell was strong. This calmed down after another three days and when I dropped it in to the secondary (with some medium toast French oak chips) it had gone altogether. I used White labs Hefeweissen IV yeast. I think this is nothing to worry about and will pass given a short rest.

I had same issue with dunkelweizen (yeast- WLP300), it seems that smell is disappearing away after cold storing in fridge.

Update: week in bottle carbing nicely sulfur smell and slight rast still present but imo diminished. Check a bottle again in a week.

Latest posts

Back