What is the best way to rewire this chest freezer for my ebay temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHP

Reaction score
For the record, Im sure this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it.

I built a collar for my little 5cu foot chest freezer today so that it can support two carboys. I also installed my ebay temp controller (STC-1000), but Im not sure what the best way to wire it is.

I have included a picture of the wiring diagram on the back of the freezer.

Thanks!

20120316_185211.jpg

I'm not familiar with the temp controller you mentioned. Why would rewiring be involved?

The temp. controllers most of us use don't require rewiring the freezer - the controller plugs into the wall and the freezer plugs into the controller. The controller has a probe which goes inside the freezer to monitor the temperature and the controller turns the freezer on and off as required. Looks like from the data here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Temperature-Control-Controller-STC-1000-110V-/220754983199

the STC-1000 works the same way, and also can control a heater. I don't understand why the description says it runs off of 110 volts and the data sheet says 220 volts. I'd double check to be sure you have one that runs on 110.

I know i wont have to change much. I realize I could have just put the controller in a project box with a couple of outlets to control heating/cooling, but it is installed in the collar.

I am looking for the most elegant solution.

The controller was originally built for 220v but I replaced the transformer with a 110v version.

Tap into the freezers incoming power to also supply the STC-1000 with power (terminals 1&2). Remove the two wires going to the freezer thermostat, and move them to the two poles of the cooling side switch on the STC-1000 (terminals 7&8). Wire the temp probe to terminals 2&3 as normal. To add heating, run an additional hot to one leg of the heat switch in the controller, then from the other side of that switch to the heater, and then a neutral to the heater.

I'm not sure that this is any more elegant than running wires from the controller to a single gang box mounted somewhere out of the way (like in the back of the collar) and simply plugging the freezer and heater into that, but that's how you'd incorporate it into the freezers wiring.

FWIW I wired mine just like the ones you see in a project box, but my controller is mounted in the collar, and the duplex outlet is mounted in a single gang box that I put out of the way in the compressor area.

So I ran a four conductor romex from where the stock controller is to the new controller. Two conductors are for hot/common and the other two are for replacing the stock temperature controller.

Theoretically that should work right?

Well the freezer just runs immediately when its plugged in regardless of what the controller tells it to do.

Ideas?

Edit:

I fixed it.

Back