English Bitter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iv_hokie12

Reaction score
I picked up an English Bitter kit because it is my sisters favorite style. Looking through the kit I noticed that it has a good bit of Amber DME. I haven't had good luck with Amber extract and was thinking about switching it to Light DME. Is there anything that I should consider that I might not be?

Why have you not had good luck with amber DME... What kind of bad experience?..... Problems shouldn't typically occur due to amber DME vs Light DME or any other DME for that matter.

Actually I guess it was LME, but I have only made two batches of beer that I thought were bad and both had Amber LME as part of the recipe. Every other batch I have made has not had Amber LME and they have all been really good. Both batches that I have used Amber LME with have been much darker than I would have liked as well.

Actually I hate to do this, but I have another question. The kit has 2 oz of fuggles hops (4.5% alpha) The instructions have a 60 minute boil with an oz for 50 min and an ounce for 25 min. The kit claims 32-35 ibus, but beersmith says I'm only going to get 22-23. I have plenty of extra hops, and am thinking about adding more.

Back