Muslin or Nylon for Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might work for whole/leaf hops but probably not very well with pellet hops.

I use nylon bags for my pellet hops, so that I keep more of the hop matter out of the brew (during the boil)...

Muslin has tiny pore sizes, can't imagine they wouldn't filter pellet material. Many use paint strainer bags for pellets and they are more coarse than muslin.

I have paint strainer bags, nylon LHBS bags and the muslin bags. But the muslin, particularly when they are stretched, look less fine. I'm trying to keep hops out of the fermenter and those muslin bags are cheeep.

Just go with the muslin if that's what you already have. I double mine up to get a bit more containment from them.

I put my hop pellets in the muslin bag that's included in the kits for steeping specialty grains. (after I've dumped the grains)

Seems to work pretty well.

Side note here..... Just brewed my first batch and I used a turkey stuffing bag for the hops and grain because I was in a pinch, hoping enough flavor got through

Check these out: Nylon Filter Bag [NYP2S] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

I use the 200 micron bags for my keggle. These filters are exceptionally well made and will give you years of service. Five bags plus USPS shipping to Nevada was $27.50. One to four bags are $5.50, five or more are $4.50. So buy and get the fifth for free.

I wouldn't use anything else.

i didn't know they sold those.. i actually got my plate chiller from them a while back, would have thrown a couple of these in the order if i knew.. i've been using lowes paint strainer bags though lately i have been getting some flowing through to the bottom of my keggle.. have you had any problem with these after multiple uses at all?

No issues whatsoever - these bags are very well made and thick. I doubt I'll use the five I have over the lifetime of brewing, unless I melt them.

I just bought a few of the longer ones ...

I would be willing to part with a few of the 16 inchers if you're intersted. Three for $15 plus shipping?

@ultravisa, how do you close the top of the bag? Is there a drawstring there? The pic looks like they are fixed open with wire or something.

Back