Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz5833

Reaction score
I didn't document the build step by step but I think the final results are worth sharing.

I based the build on various plans and ideas found everywhere on the net and added a little of them all into my own adaptation.

I started with the dimensions required to contain the 6.5 gallon Mini-Brew I received for Christmas. This ended up being 14" x 18" x 42" inside dimensions.

Next I aquired a $10 mini fridge and gutted it's AC components.

I then cut 4 sheets of 26ga galvanized metal 18" x 46" and 4 sheets 22" x 46" and turned 2" inches on all the sides to form 8 - 2" deep pans. These were to be the 3 sides and door. I made the top and bottom the same way.

4 of the pans were formed slightly smaller than the other 4 so that 2" styrofoam insulation could be placed in one and covered by another forming an insulated panel. The top and bottom, again, were done the same way.

I assembled them overlapping and held them together with 3" decking screws from the outside. All the overlaps and seams were caulked.

Prior to fitting the top, I cut the mini fridge components into the back panel and finished it off with a couple of tool box type closures on the door and a temp controller that I had made previously.

So far it's working flawlessly.

I am a metal worker by trade and got the metal for free, the fridge for $10 bucks and my previously built $30 dollar temp controller. All the hardware I had stored from who knows how many years (pop rivets, hinges, closures etc).

So all in all it cost me about $40 bucks to build.

Here are a few pics:

P6121407.jpg

P6121404.jpg

P6121412.jpg

P6121410.jpg

P6121406.jpg

P6121408.jpg

P6121411.jpg

I love all these DIY posts that finish with "oh yeah, I'm a metal worker by trade".

That is pretty awesome! The raw metal makes it look bad ass! :rockin:

Thanks everyone for the kudos but I'm afraid it's much easier than it looks. The only limiting factor is the metal bending brake used to turn the edges.

I have included a dimensional drawing for the build. I drew this from memory so check the dimensions if you ue it just in case.

FermentationChamberplan.jpg

...The only limiting factor is the metal bending brake used to turn the edges.

...and the fact that have I zero metal work experience and no access to free (or cheap) galvanized sheet metal.

That thing looks amazing. If we're ever caught in nuclear war, we know who's homebrew will be fallout-free.

Well done.

Well I finished my first brew with my new conical and the fermentation chamber built to house it. So far it's the best batch, and the biggest, that I've yet done.

Here in San Diego, I anticipated having to cool the interior but after 24 hours it was evident that heating it was necessary. The temps around the chamber ranged from 40 to the upper 60’s during the fermentation cycle and it settled in around 60-63 with no heat. My target temp was 68.

An old hair dryer took care of the need but I am curious how it will maintain temps when the ambient temps get higher and cooling is required. I am currently using a single stage relay, so I can’t control both heating and cooling with the same t-stat.

Anyway, so far it performs well and I have less than $75 bucks in the whole thing including the temp controller.

You should sell the 3 walls, the floor, top and door as a kit. For those of us with no metal working skills or way to bend the metal. You would do that part then the person buying it would do all the rest. Since it could all nest together it wouldnt be too big for shipping. Maybe even make the the long walls and the door in two pieces to get it even smaller for shipping?

[QUOTE=jaz5833;3635728]Thanks everyone for the kudos but I'm afraid it's much easier than it looks. The only limiting factor is the metal bending brake used to turn the edges.

I have included a dimensional drawing for the build. I drew this from memory so check the dimensions if you ue it just in case.

FermentationChamberplan.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Really nice work.
Is that rubber insulate tape on doors?

No, it is just some of the common home style gasket for around windows and such. It works well beacause it compresses well around the various cords I run inside for temp readings, small fan etc.

Just a follow up on the build.

I have discovered that there are is an aspect of the build that I would change should I do it again.

As detailed in the OT, I built metal panels to encase 2 inch hard insulation and just laid them against each other and secured them in place. I have discovered that without an insulating medium to seperate the metal panels from each other that the cooler air inside the chamber migrates, or conducts, to the outside.

If built again I would overlap the panels with some rubber or felt in between the panels to stop stop travel of cool inside - to the outside.

Other than that, it has performed flawlessly and I am quite satisfied with the build.

Back