False bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastings

Reaction score
I got a Anheuse Busch keg that i turned into a keggle and i been using a braid and it seems like every time i try to pull out the wort the braid gets ruined so I'am looking for a false bottom.

Which and where should i get a false bottom?

I got a 12 inch cut out on top

If you're mashing in it, get a 15" folding false bottom from NorCal/Jaybird... If it's going to be a boil keggle, then you can get a smaller one, but I'd still go with a folding version.

My keg mash tun opening is about 10-1/4" diameter, and I have no issue fitting a 15" hinged false bottom into it.

I would also get a dip tube from NorCal... Tell them where your valve is, and such, and they'll make it to fit YOUR keggle...

BTW, I have the same make 1/2 bbl keg (from the 90's)...

I'd rather have one with a handle...

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/product312.html

It's a few dollars more (~$94) but the handle makes a big difference, IMO... PLUS, NorCal will drill the hole where YOU want it. So if you have a dip tube that's shorter, or longer, you can tell them where to place the hole.

Personally, I would get the entire thing/setup from NorCal again. In fact, I'll be getting the hardware for my future keg conversions from them. I'm even thinking of getting one of their hop stopper units for when I convert a keg into a boil keggle.

Either way, just make sure you get the false bottom with the features that actually matter. I would also size it according to the job it will be doing. IF you're going for a boil keggle, then you might just need/want the hop stopper. IF a mash tun, then get the full coverage false bottom...

Back