Cracked heating element on immersion heater. uh oh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurferMatt

Reaction score
So i received a large amount of brewing equipment secondhand and in that cache of brew weapons was a screwplug immersion heater for a 75gallon hlt. It looks to be exactly the same as this from mcmastercarr

(http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplC...dition=115&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=1075)

there was a severe crack on the bottom of the element. so i get trigger happy and started soldering on a patch....but I have no idea whether or not what i used is brewing safe:(. I feel completely retarded at this point because I dont know if this element was worthwhile to start with and i might have just made it worthless.

Does anyone know if there are safe solders for this application? or am I just screwed?

So it's just like a 200-4500 heating element? That's like 20 bucks. Just replace it.
Or is it something different? The link is pretty generic.

Well, the element shouldn't get too much hotter than the liquid that it's immersed in so I doubt it would melt 400F solder. However, I agree that the elements themselves are cheap enough to replace.

Is this on the actual heating portion of the element? If the ceramic is cracked it is no longer electrically insulated. A solder patch may keep the liquid out but you could still leak current to the liquid if the solder is in contact with the conductive bit in the element.

Toss it and buy a replacement.

Back