HELP with my HOP Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
OK, I'm working off the following guidelines from my hometown brewery to get a session IPA. The following is from Boulevard Brewery for their Single Wide IPA. Below that is what I've worked up in Beersmith. I'm doing a double Boulevard batch this weekend, I already ordered my Boulevard Pale Ale AG kit from Austin Homebrew, and will be ordering the ingredients for the Single Wide from Brewmasters shortly.:mug:

INGREDIENTS: Pale malt, caramel malt & malted wheat. Magnum, Columbus, Summit, Cascade, Centennial & Pallisade hops.

STARTING GRAVITY: 13.7 degrees Plato

ALCOHOL: 4.6% by weight, 5.7% by volume

BITTERNESS UNITS: 59 IBUs

AVERAGE EBC COLOR: 17

inspired by our Smokestack Series Double-Wide I.P.A. the Single Wide boasts a heady combination of six varieties of hops, some of which were employed for dry-hopping

SENSORY DESCRIPTION: Slightly hazy, golden bronze in appearance. Aroma is flowery, with hints of citrus and fresh mown hay. Assertive hop signature, yet well balanced with a crisp, dry finish.

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/12/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: EuBrew
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 91.67 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 oz Summit [18.50 %] (60 min) Hops 32.1 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (30 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops
0.50 oz Palisades [8.30 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.54 %
Bitterness: 60.1 IBU Calories: 249 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.6 SRM

Thanks in advance, ya'll rock!!:rockin:

Looking at this, I would bump up the gravity to at least 1.060, and bump up the 15minute addition to .75oz or so for more flavor.
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm pretty new at this as well. :)

FF

Go to mrmalty.com and read the article about huge hop flavor from late additions. I think the recipe looks fine but it will be pretty bitter... Is that what you want from a session beer? I would rather use more hops as late additions and get some serious hop flavor and aroma. Lower acid values would allow you to use more hops as well. It just seems that a whole ounce of dry hops is imbalanced with the low amount of late hops.

But ignoring all this, if you have confirmation that this recipe is a decent clone of a beer you love, why change anything? First brew it, and change from there.

I could bump it up. What I'd really like to know is what hops they are using for dry hopping, that would answer a lot of the questions. If I bump the 5 min to 15 it'll put the IBU's up too high, not that I'm opposed to that, I like me some hops!

Go to mrmalty.com and read the article about huge hop flavor from late additions. I think the recipe looks fine but it will be pretty bitter... Is that what you want from a session beer? I would rather use more hops as late additions and get some serious hop flavor and aroma. Lower acid values would allow you to use more hops as well. It just seems that a whole ounce of dry hops is imbalanced with the low amount of late hops.

But ignoring all this, if you have confirmation that this recipe is a decent clone of a beer you love, why change anything? First brew it, and change from there.

No confirmation at all, just my best shot using beersmith. I didn't see this until I posted on 1st responder. Any thoughts which they would be using as dry hops?? I've got an ounce of each hop listed coming plus an ounce of Columbus, and .5 of magnum in the freezer.

Sorry sorry from the department of redundancy department

I'm a big fan of simcoe in the late hop addition, it really adds lot of spicy fruit aroma.

Do you have a way to accurately weigh .25oz?

I have a dietary scale that measures 0.1 oz but when using smaller amounts like the .25 I convert to grams and measure out 7.1 g.

ah. sorry, I wasn't looking at matching a clone. I was just looking at the recipe in terms of balance of ingredients.

Back