Bottles not pressuring up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruthdrury

Reaction score
Recently, after bottling my homebrew from the ferementer to the clear plastic bottles - and leaving them outside in a fridge - i am noticing that the bottles are not pressuring up.
Has anyone got any suggestions for this?
Haven't had too much problem until just recently - it is cold - winter here in Hobart...What can I do?
Ideas that don't require the use of electricity as am on solar energy.

How long ago did you bottle?
When you say they don't "pressure up" does this mean you've opened some and they aren't carbonated?
I store my beer in my basement. Probably a more stable temp than your outdoors.
The local beer store recipes suggest a process called "priming." It involves keeping the recently bottled beer at room temperature for two weeks before storing in a cool place.

Assuming that your bottle conditioning, the fridge may be too cold for the yeast to eat your priming medium and produce CO2, how warm do you usually condition, and how much colder is it where they are now?

They won't carb in the fridge. Store them inside at room temp while they carb up and then stick 'em in the fridge.

Take them out of the fridge, and let them warm back up. Then after a couple days, give them a shake to rouse the yeast, and leave them alone for AT LEAST 3 weeks.

When you put them in the fridge the yeast goes to sleep, warm it up, they wake up and go back to work. You can't carb a beer in the fridge.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

The fridge is just a storage place,
Thanks , for the replies - I have shaken the ones up in the fridge - they have been sitting there for at least 3 weeks - the bottles are soft to touch, instead of pressured up. I'll try the suggestion to store inside, and see how it goes.
Thanks for all your replies.
Yes, the temperature is getting to 0degrees celcius here - 32 deg f. So, guess that could be the problem.

The fridge is just a storage place,
Thanks , for the replies - I have shaken the ones up in the fridge - they have been sitting there for at least 3 weeks - the bottles are soft to touch, instead of pressured up. I'll try the suggestion to store inside, and see how it goes.
Thanks for all your replies.
Yes, the temperature is getting to 0degrees celcius here - 32 deg f. So, guess that could be the problem.

3 weeks @ 70F is what you need.

Back