New to the Beer game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imdrunk

Reaction score
Been interested in home brewing for a while now and ordered some gear tonight. Just trying to find out if there is anything I am missing and should get as well. This is what I bought.

From midwestsupplies.com/ I got:
Airlock 3 piece type x2
-EVERYTHING + A CARBOY - Complete Brewing Equipment Kit #2
Carboy Type
Better Bottle
Recipe Kit
Amber Ale
-8" Funnel with Strainer
-Nylon Boiling bag 8 x 9 in.
-Liberty Cream Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast
-EZ Cap Bottle Special - 1 Liter

From kegconnection.com/ I got:
-1 Cornelius Keg (or Firestone), 5 Gallon, Ball Lock (Pepsi Style) for Homebrew/Soda
-1 1 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Standard Kit, BALL LOCK

My plan is to bottle my first brew and keg the next two, just need to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks

Do you have a pot to boil the wort in? You'lll probably need a 3 to 4 gallon pot for a partial boil. however if you have a bigger pot to do a full boil(6 to 8 gallons) plus a propane burner, or some other heat source, to do a full boil that would be even better but isn't necessary.

This might be a given, but since you seem to be going all out from scratch gear wise, a fridge for your kegs?

I got a fridge in the garage but I was thinking of them for parties. Not trying to make a kegerator ATM.
Don't need a kegerator, but you'll probably want to keep them cold for consuption without having to keep buying ice. You can just stick them in the fridge and use picnic taps instead of actual tap, only catch is you would have to open the fridge to dispense, which isn't the end of the world either.

"How to Brew" by John Palmer

+1

You'll also need a thermometer - it looks like this kit only comes with a stick-on thermometer for your fermenter. You'll need something to measure the temp of your water & wort.

I'd also replace the Muntons yeast with Nottingham or US-05.

And get some Star San. Your kit has a cleaner, but I don't see any sanitizer.

I agree that you need a thermometer. I used a short digital meat thermometer that I would periodically stick in my water to determine if I had the correct temperature for steeping the grains but after a few brewing sessions I replaced that with the 12" stem thermometer from Midwest. The clip on it would make it stay right at the side of the boiling pot so I made a new one from a piece of perforated metal pipe hanger so I could suspend the end of the thermometer nearer the center of the pot and above the bottom so I would get the temp of the liquid, not the pot.

Back