Hunting Cabin Brew Day Pictoral

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
So I am headed off to go hunting tomorrow. In between the morning and evening hunts I plan to brew! I am making recipe with only one type of malt. There is no running water at our cabin so I'll start it off with my preparations:

Making starter to be ready when I get home:
IMG_5237.JPG

Two pounds of wet roasted malt:
IMG_5240.JPG

Filled 2 10 gallon coolers for my water, treated with camden:
IMG_5243.JPG

Washed Yeast and starter done boiling:
IMG_5246.JPG

Hops weighed and packaged:
IMG_5248.JPG

Difference between wet toasted and "raw" grains:
IMG_5249.JPG

Hops, grains and crusher ready to go:
IMG_5250.JPG

Truck loaded (pots went in cab):
IMG_52511.JPG

Saved a dollar or two on propane by getting my 4.2 gallons of mash water up to 125 (target was 132) by using the woodstove:
IMG_5254.JPG

Homemade crusher's crush:
IMG_5255.JPG

A little scenery while getting my mash water up the last few degrees:
IMG_52561.JPG

Doughing in an shooting for 123:
IMG_52571.JPG

A little high but acceptable:
IMG_52581.JPG

6.75 quarts of mash for first decoction:
IMG_5261.JPG

Got it boiling:
IMG_5263.JPG

A Poser Pic:
IMG_5264.JPG

Hit first Sacc Rest Temp perfectly!
IMG_5267.JPG

Second decoction...
IMG_5266.JPG

Went hunting and let the mash sit while I was out, a day can't get too much better!
IMG_5274.JPG

Saw this heard of 11 Does/fawns:
IMG_5287.JPG

Coming back in (morning):
IMG_5291.JPG

After the hunt was over I finished up the lautering. The only thing I forgot was any siphon tubing so I had to use the old "Scold your hand/sparge via pitcher" method.
IMG_5279.JPG

Hot Break receding:
IMG_5281.JPG

And thats about it, Once the boil was finished I let it cool over night, moved the wort into one of my sanatized water containers for transportation home. Pitched the yeast starter and can update as it progresses!

Here is the set up and the cabin!
IMG_5283.JPG

I am home! No deer was harvested during the trip, but a batch of beer was successfully made. Although a doe passed by me incredibly lame...only use three legs to move around. If I see her again it might be the first doe harvested by my family in three generations!

Pics to come today!

It is a VERY experimental recipe that I am withholding until I find out if it tastes good...or like satan's anus :D

And sorry about the pictures...the geek squad came to help my mom set up her new computer and DESTROYED out internet (second time they have done this and both times they said "Oh your router coincidentally broke while we were here). When I get home from work I will hard line into the router and upload them!

OK, now as a fellow hunter I would have to say that brewing and hunting in the same day is quite an accomplishment. However, I want to see pictures of the deer that you filled your tags with. Montanaandy

I'm not a hunter, but, man, that outdoor picture looked like a great day to be outside! To be able to enjoy the outdoors like that AND brew. . . awesome :mug:

I just saw the post at said you did not bag a deer. Time to go back out and brew again! Montanaandy

Haha I am trying. With work my cabin is 2 hours away from home so I can steal a day off or two to get out there. Thanksgiving week I asked off so we can spend it in the sparcely populated mountains where my grandfather grew up. We have his 110 Acres up there and that country is pretty rough!

I'm not a hunter, but, man, that outdoor picture looked like a great day to be outside! To be able to enjoy the outdoors like that AND brew. . . awesome :mug:

I agree. I have been hunting for seven years now and have bagged enough deer to count on one hand. We are in no financial need for the meat, and we don't grow any crops to claim damage, so we wait for decent bucks. Its just a nice excuse to get outside, and even better when you through brewing into the equation!

Should of put the spent grains in the field to lure them in.

I did! In virginia it is illegal to bait, so I waited until after my last hunt of the week and spread them out away from our hunting area. Technically illegal, but no one was there to take advantage of the bait, so I see no foul.

Back