newbie here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyarchs

Reaction score
hi guys total homebrewing newbie here but luckily i can use the search button so hopefully wont be asking to many pointless questions :p !

a lad at my work does a fair bit of homebrewing and has got me interested in having a go, now he told me to have a look on ebay to find a starter kit suitable but alas he is a bitter drinker has no knowledge of cider and does not know if i need any specific kit so i searched and found this forum and im hoping i could get pointed in the right direction before i part with my hard earned cash.

would this kit do the job and how likely am i to have a reasonably tasteing cider or many attempts at getting it right should i allow before i throw in the towel :cross:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cider-Complet...2631805QQihZ009QQcategoryZ38172QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

stu

rustyarchs said:
hi guys total homebrewing newbie here but luckily i can use the search button so hopefully wont be asking to many pointless questions :p !

a lad at my work does a fair bit of homebrewing and has got me interested in having a go, now he told me to have a look on ebay to find a starter kit suitable but alas he is a bitter drinker has no knowledge of cider and does not know if i need any specific kit so i searched and found this forum and im hoping i could get pointed in the right direction before i part with my hard earned cash.

would this kit do the job and how likely am i to have a reasonably tasteing cider or many attempts at getting it right should i allow before i throw in the towel :cross:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cider-Complete-Brewing-System-free-guide_W0QQitemZ190012631805QQihZ009QQcategoryZ38172QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

stu

Most of the fermentation setups will work just as well. If you're looking to get into presing your own fruit, then you'll have to get different equipment.

Look up Caplan (a user on this board also from the UK) and see if he'll give you some sage advice. He seems to be the Cider King of HomeBrewTalk.

rustyarchs said:
Would this kit do the job and how likely am i to have a reasonably tasteing cider or many attempts at getting it right should i allow before i throw in the towel :cross:

Welcome aboard the forum! Spot on that you've found the search function, use it but don't be scared to ask on here if you can't find answers. Reading up before taking the plunge to be sure you don't waste cash on unnecessary items is always the best thing.
Pricewise the kit isn't bad for what you get i suppose. It does seem to lack an essential basic - a pre-drilled hole in the Lid and airlock though. If you can find a local homebrew shop you'll save on delivery charges and they may have some better offers. You can get cider right everytime if you follow good sanitizing and have patience to age it.

I make a dry cider that is simply spendid in this hot weather. I just buy apple juice from the store making sure there is no additives or preservatives in it. I pick up mine for $3 a gallon. I pour it into a sanitized carboy, pour in a packet of dry Montrachet wine yeast, put on an airlock and come back in a month to rack off and drink.

It's very tasty and you can sweeten later if you like with Splenda. I've tried it and it's pretty good, but I like the dry flavor of my results. It's just like German Apple wine.

If you want an extra kick, stir in a couple pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) into a 5 gallon batch. It will ferment out and you won't taste the difference. I do it with every batch now and get about 8% ABV with it.

Ed
Just sent mine fermenting last saturday I only have 1 ? what temp should it be fermenting at I am at 69 to 71 in the fridginator is that just about right???
JJ

I just finished my first cider, brew in general, and it worked out great, Give it about a month worth of reading and preparing. Its totally worth it. If you cant wait that long you might not get the best brew in the first place.

Back