Fruit Beer Wild Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a glass carboy. It is a 6.5 gal if im not mistaken but it will hold a little over 7 gal of liquid. Best way to figure it out is to fill it, 1 gal at a time. Then you'll know for sure. I even marked 5, 5.5, 6 & 6.5 lines on mine. I use a bucket for secondary with the strawberries.

Wreck99 said:
Not alot of headroom then. I'm guessing blowoff tube!

You got it! And in reality, 6 gal into the fermenter is probably plenty. I always shoot for as much as possible just because i know i lose some in transfer and the berries. The last batch i did, i racked about 4.5-4.75 into the keg.

You got it! And in reality, 6 gal into the fermenter is probably plenty. I always shoot for as much as possible just because i know i lose some in transfer and the berries. The last batch i did, i racked about 4.5-4.75 into the keg.

Yeah, the berries soak that beer up!! Lol

just racked off of strawberries and good god did my fermenting room (the closet) smelled like HEAVEN

Just racked mine to the secondary after ten days in the primary. Is the 12 days a must? If not, what would be the minimum time I can leave it on the berries and still get the full taste?

The berries sure looked good floating in the beer!

Hello, I'm very new here and to brewing. I have done two batches so far, an American Pale Ale and a Summer Ale. Both from kits and both extracts. This sounds like something that would be a great summer drink on the deck with friends. Question is do you have an extract version of the recipe for a 5 gallon batch size? Thanks!

Lol.. pink beer!! Hmmmm... Green beer for St. Patrick's day, pink beer for... Um, Valentine's day? You may be on to something here. :)

I am thinking pink beer for ...you guessed it, Breast Enhancement Awareness Day.

I am a few days away from going to tertiary on the extract version - much thanks to Blue for the PM replies. My OG was a little on the high side, but the sample I pulled when racking onto the berries was tasty enough. I admit that I tried in my mind to add some strawberry taste while drinking it. Anyway, this should be in the bottle at my house just in time for the event I brewed it for - the birth of my third daughter. I purchased red caps and made my first labels for this brew, so there are pretty high expectations.

I will be doing my first BIAB all grain this weekend, so I can see this AG version being added to whatever brews are in my future between diaper changes and pistol cleanings.

YOUR MY BOY, BLUE!

(always looking for a reason to say that, sorry)

Just racked mine to the secondary after ten days in the primary. Is the 12 days a must? If not, what would be the minimum time I can leave it on the berries and still get the full taste?

The berries sure looked good floating in the beer!
One week on berries is plenty. I wouldn't suggest less than 5, but that's just a guess.
Hello, I'm very new here and to brewing. I have done two batches so far, an American Pale Ale and a Summer Ale. Both from kits and both extracts. This sounds like something that would be a great summer drink on the deck with friends. Question is do you have an extract version of the recipe for a 5 gallon batch size? Thanks!
Do a seach for Succulent Strawberry Blonde in the repices section. It's Bluelinebrewer's recipe and it's what I based this one on.
I am thinking pink beer for ...you guessed it, Breast Enhancement Awareness Day.

I am a few days away from going to tertiary on the extract version - much thanks to Blue for the PM replies. My OG was a little on the high side, but the sample I pulled when racking onto the berries was tasty enough. I admit that I tried in my mind to add some strawberry taste while drinking it. Anyway, this should be in the bottle at my house just in time for the event I brewed it for - the birth of my third daughter. I purchased red caps and made my first labels for this brew, so there are pretty high expectations.

I will be doing my first BIAB all grain this weekend, so I can see this AG version being added to whatever brews are in my future between diaper changes and pistol cleanings.

YOUR MY BOY, BLUE!

(always looking for a reason to say that, sorry)
Congrats on the kid! Good luck with the brews. :mug:

Ok, racked off the secondary into a keg last night. Stuck keg in the frigerator to crash chill. If I were to run it through a .5 micron filter you think I could skip the tertiary? Im trying to get this ready for the weekend. You were right, smells GREAT! and PINK.

before.jpg

after.jpg

pink.jpg

frontiercdk said:
Ok, racked off the secondary into a keg last night. Stuck keg in the frigerator to crash chill. If I were to run it through a .5 micron filter you think I could skip the tertiary? Im trying to get this ready for the weekend. You were right, smells GREAT! and PINK.

I dont recommend skipping tertiary. I did this in the last batch. Went straight from secondary to the keg. It doesnt taste right. More like a strawberry wine cooler than beer. This beer really needs the extra week or two of aging before being carbed up. I wont skip it again.

Hey Blue, I guess mine wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I took the keg of this and two other kegs to a party Saturday night. All three kegs kicked! I'm out of beer now. bwahahahaha Oh well. Time to brew.

I used the "search this thread" option before asking the question but didn't see it. Anyone try this with all cascade? I currently have a lot of it on hand. Do you think it's worth picking up some Saaz?

Since your first hop addition is at 60 min there is no need for a longer boil. You are just boiling off good beer for no reason.

It is advised to boil longer with Pilsner malt, to drive off DMS. The lighter the kilning of the malt, the more likely it is to produce DMS is your finished beer. Pilsner malt is VERY LIGHTLY kilned, and it is always a good idea to boil a bit longer. Unless you like the cooked corn flavor in your beer. :cross:

Looks like a pretty good recipe, and I might have to give it a whirl. I will most likely do a 10gal batch, and put 5 on Strawberries, and 5 on something else...I'm thinking PEACH!

Oh, and I love Safale US-05 Yeast. Hater's gonna hate, but that stuff has been rock solid reliable for me, every time I use it!

Cheers,
5th

It is advised to boil longer with Pilsner malt, to drive off DMS. The lighter the kilning of the malt, the more likely it is to produce DMS is your finished beer. Pilsner malt is VERY LIGHTLY kilned, and it is always a good idea to boil a bit longer. Unless you like the cooked corn flavor in your beer. :cross:

Looks like a pretty good recipe, and I might have to give it a whirl. I will most likely do a 10gal batch, and put 5 on Strawberries, and 5 on something else...I'm thinking PEACH!

Oh, and I love Safale US-05 Yeast. Hater's gonna hate, but that stuff has been rock solid reliable for me, every time I use it!

Cheers,
5th
You are correct. But the question asked was what do I think of a 90 minute boil for this beer. I have been brewing this beer for quite a few years and have done both 90 min and 60 min boils. My answer to the original question still stands. I have noticed no difference in a 60 min vs a 90 min boil for this beer.

And yes, S-05 kicks a**! Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for this recipe! I just racked a version of this today to the tertiarty and it was fantastic. I used the same hops and yeast but changed the grainbill a little.

7# pilsner
2# white wheat
.5# honey malt
.5# carapils

7 days into primary added 1# honey.

5# frozen strawberries
1# frozen strawberries with sugar added.

Didnt realize that the one pound bag had added sugar until it was already in the bucket so i just left it- and it seems to have come out quite alright!

And I am real glad that this recipe has convinced me of how awesome safale 05 is. I have cider fermenting on top of this beer's original yeast cake and it is going so nice and strong. Just tasted some that was sweet still after a week but so clean with this yeast.

I already can't wait to try this recipe again.

Thanks for this recipe! I just racked a version of this today to the tertiarty and it was fantastic. I used the same hops and yeast but changed the grainbill a little.

7# pilsner

2# white wheat

.5# honey malt

.5# carapils

7 days into primary added 1# honey.

5# frozen strawberries

1# frozen strawberries with sugar added.

Didnt realize that the one pound bag had added sugar until it was already in the bucket so i just left it- and it seems to have come out quite alright!

And I am real glad that this recipe has convinced me of how awesome safale 05 is. I have cider fermenting on top of this beer's original yeast cake and it is going so nice and strong. Just tasted some that was sweet still after a week but so clean with this yeast.

I already can't wait to try this recipe again.

Awesome! Glad you like it. Keep us posted.

Ginger!! I've got a batch of my version of your all grain version, of my extract version of this beer, cold crashing right now. I will, without fail, make sure you get a sample!

Just got this into the fermenter. Did a batch for the strawberry and a batch that will not see any strawberry.
I was curious how this would taste without strawberry.

Only change made was Hallertauer instead of Cascade.

The batch for strawberry had a pre-boil volume of 8 gallons with a post-boil of just over 6.5. Only 6 gallons made it into the fermenter. OG was 1.043

The batch that will go without strawberry had a pre-boil volume of 7 gallons, post-boil was 5.7 Gallons. Only 5 gallons made it into the fermenter. OG was 1.053

I'm fairly new to brewing, this is only batch 3 and 4. Jumped in head first with All Grain. Looking forward to see how this comes out.

Just got this into the fermenter. Did a batch for the strawberry and a batch that will not see any strawberry.
I was curious how this would taste without strawberry.

Only change made was Hallertauer instead of Cascade.

The batch for strawberry had a pre-boil volume of 8 gallons with a post-boil of just over 6.5. Only 6 gallons made it into the fermenter. OG was 1.043

The batch that will go without strawberry had a pre-boil volume of 7 gallons, post-boil was 5.7 Gallons. Only 5 gallons made it into the fermenter. OG was 1.053

I'm fairly new to brewing, this is only batch 3 and 4. Jumped in head first with All Grain. Looking forward to see how this comes out.
Awesome! Let us know how they turn out. I have made the Blonde without berries as well, and it makes a pretty nice lawnmower beer. Hope you like it! :mug:

I wouldn't mind having a go at this recipe.

A question before I do though...

Once bottled I don't have space to cold crush. Should I therefore pasteurise to stop fermentation of the fruit sugars I.e the same as with cider making? I learnt the hard way with my first batch of cider, ended up with bottle bombs!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

7 lbs American Pilsner Malt
1.25 German Wheat Malt
1 lb Cara-Pils
1 lb Flaked Corn

1 oz Cascade 5.0% AA @ 60 min
.5 oz Saaz 6.8% AA @ 20 min
.5 oz Saaz 6.8% AA@ 15 min

1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 min

S-05 Yeast

Mash 6 gal @ 154F for 60 min
Sparge with 2.5 gal @170F for 10 min
Sparge with 2.5 gal @170 for 10 min
You will want 8 gal into the kettle
Boil for 60 min adding hops as noted

Ferment @ 68F for 12 days and rack ONTO 8 lbs of frozen strawberries. Do not thaw them, do not puree them, dump them into a bucket and rack the beer on top of them.

Secondary on the berries for 7 days and rack into terrtiary for another 7 days. Cold crash for 7 more days, then bottle.

You want to get as much into the primary fermenter as possible. The berries will soak up some beer and you will lose some while racking. If you boil off more than 1 gal/hr, you will want to boil more. A 6.5 gal batch nets me 53 bottles.

This beer is my all grain version of the Succulent Strawberry extract recipe listed on here. It is phenomenal! Great summer beer.

I'm making this beer this weekend and wanted to know if I should make a yeast starter? And if I do make one, do I use DME?

I'm making this beer this weekend and wanted to know if I should make a yeast starter? And if I do make one, do I use DME?

Boy did you just open a can of worms! :) everyone will give you a different answer, but since it is my recipe, i'm going to give you my thoughts. It is not necessary to make a starter with S-05. The directions will tell you to rehydrate. That being said, i make a starter with all yeast. I found that my fermentation starts faster and finishes dryer (lower FG). I make a 1500 ml starter using about 2 cups of DME. I have brewed this with rehydrated yeast and with the "just sprinkle it in" method. I prefer the starter and DME is cheap and it's fun to do!

This is not intended to start a debate on the use of starters with S-05. This is simply my answer to the question asked. There are plenty of threads about this topic where everyone can argue the points.

I appreciate your feedback. Its your recipe so I was really only going to go with whatever yoy said. I read every reply post on this thread and it sounds like a great beer and I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I'll do a starter per your advice and let you know how I make out. Thanks again and keep posting so guys like me can benefit!

I appreciate your feedback. Its your recipe so I was really only going to go with whatever yoy said. I read every reply post on this thread and it sounds like a great beer and I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. I'll do a starter per your advice and let you know how I make out. Thanks again and keep posting so guys like me can benefit!

Awesome! Again, not necassary to make a starter but i do. You can read 100's of threads saying that i'm wrong, but it works for me. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

Fwiw, i brewed the base for this last week. Havent made it in a year. Cant wait to drink it!!!

I made this today and I do the BIAB method and somehow I ended up with an OG of 1.048. I honestly don't know what I did wrong and I'm kinda annoyed. Hopefully making the starter will be enough to give me a 5 ABV in the end!

I made this as my first batch with new equipment 2 weeks ago and had efficiency problems as well. Don't sweat it. You're not looking for a high ABV beer anyway. I'm sure it will turn out great!

Bought 8 lbs of fresh strawberries last night. Washed the, de-stemmed them and vacuum sealed them. Put them in the freezer and I plan to rack onto them on Saturday. I've never used fresh berries before, so I'm excited to see how fresh is going to turn out.

I'm too nervous to go the fresh route and after reading all of the responses on this string, frozen seems the safest. Plus I'm a newb and this is only my 3rd batch so I'm not too daring yet

I'm too nervous to go the fresh route and after reading all of the responses on this string, frozen seems the safest. Plus I'm a newb and this is only my 3rd batch so I'm not too daring yet
hahaha understandable. I figured after years of brewing this one, it was time to try it. If it sucks, I'll dump it in 6 months. Chances are it will be fine and I won't have any problems. My biggest concern with this batch, is that too many people want samples. Which means I am going to have to bottle some of it! I hate bottling. :drunk:

Back