Force carbing redux

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howardgf

Reaction score
Hi all, relative new guy here. Made 5 gallons 30+ years ago. Looked great, tasted like 'homebrew', sour. Didn't know about infections then. Anyway, I now have a corny full of great beer, and a fermenter full of another, soon to be great beer.
While waiting on my CO2 stuff to arrive, I got to thinking about dry ice forced carbing. I know that the first reaction of many is to talk about bottle bombs, etc., and how foolhardy it would be. I am hoping for a less panicky response, and info from anyone who has actually done this method of carbing, rather than philosophising about it.
Carbing in a corny, I have read, is done at about 30 pounds. A corny is good to over 100 pounds. Why couldn't one use a pressure relief and gauge , as used for transferring beer from one keg to another, set to 35 pounds, and simply put some reasonable quantity of dry ice in the keg of cold beer, being neither stupid, or pedantic, as to the quantity, sealing it up, and shaking the bejesus out of it (as you would with gas)? There's no way this setup would blow up, or make anything brittle, and I discount the level of 'crap' in store bought dry ice.
Just thinkin'. Thanks, H.

Well, I'm all about "easy" (as well as safe), and I'd just use some priming sugar in the keg. But if you want to try to do something like that, just use the appropriate safety gear and be safe!

Thanks Yooper. I'll eventually try the priming in the keg thing (too lazy to bottle), I am trying to keep the beer as clear, and uniformly carbed, as possible. I am going broke buying co2 duster cartridges to get my beer out of the corny (and into me), and carbonation is taking forever. H.

The release valves are supposed to blow around 80psi IIRC.

Really, it comes down to simple math. Figure out how much gas you need (molar weight) to carb up to 2.5 volumes in your sized keg, buy your hunk of dry ice, measure the correct weight and give'er.

Personally, i'd chill the keg as low as you could (4*C or about 40*F) and start with half of the required dry ice, shake N bake for a good 10 minutes, then repeat with the other half.

There's no reason it *shouldn't* work but the concern is about too much gas state CO2 being sublimated too quickly.

Hi Target. The relief valve I had in mind is advertised by brew shops as a separate item that goes on the receiving corny gas post. It has a gauge and adjustable valve that allows gas to escape while transferring beer from one corny to another, as in filtering. No calculating necessary, which is a good thing for me. h.

Back